Menu Item Missing In Xubuntu

Just finished a new installation of the standalone version. But even after reboot there is no menu item that I can find to start the app. I feel like I'm missing something obvious since the implication from all the web site information is that it should just work.

I am using Xubuntu 14.04.5.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong with the install?
  • There's not really an install for zotero on Linux. What exactly did you do? By default you'd just unpack and then run it
  • That's what I thought. Seemed to go well. During the install it displayed the app, so I thought it was going to stay open. But then it closed so I assumed that was just for startup config purposes. Go figure.

I download the file, extracted it which created its own directory, then ran run-zotero.sh. Maybe there was another way it was supposed to be done?
  • edited February 15, 2017
    Well, again, there's no install if you download it from zotero.org. It's just a tarball, the same as when you download the Firefox tarball from Mozilla. You run it by running 'zotero'.

If you want menu items and such, there are packages made by others for various distros. We don't produce those.

The tarball for the upcoming 5.0 version also includes a .desktop file for Ubuntu (which you can symlink into the appropriate location with build 137 and later), and a set_launcher_icon script that you can run first to update it with the proper Zotero icon.
  • Oh. Why didn't the instructions just say that, for Pete's sake. And what is run-zotero.sh for anyway? Evidently, I was working way too hard on this.
  • And what is run-zotero.sh for anyway?
    It's a remnant from the Firefox package, removed in Zotero 5.0. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Aha! Glad that's cleared up.

Perhaps you folks would like some help on the installation documentation. Would be glad to do it.