Editing style to mention volume number only when same work repeated

edited February 14, 2017
Lots of references I use are multi-volume works. I register each volume on zotero as book. Is there a way to edit the style to mention the volume number only (not the wohle details of the reference), when any volume of the reference is previously mentioned? I use Sascha Forester citation style.
Thanks in Advance
  • No. There is currently no way in Zotero and CSL to specify that different items should be treated as part of a greater whole.

The only thing you currently can do is cite the entire multi-volume work as a single item, and specify the volume in each cite through a so-called locator. See "Page and Other Locators" at https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#quick_format_citation_dialog.
  • Thanks for your answer,
    If I use the volume als locator, I can't use the page number then, either volume or page, Am I right?
  • You could enter the Volume locator as "3, p. 206"
  • I could do it, but according to style required by me college the volume number should be right after the name of the book, not at the end. Also I don't know how it may effect the "ebd.".
  • The alternative would be to stick with your current method, and edit the bibliography (through the word processor plugin) to strip out the extraneous details of subsequent references. (I'm not sure whether items later removed from the document would also be removed from the bibliography in that case, so you would want to check that.)
  • Thanks for your responces.
    Is it possible to change the position of the locator to be right after the author (and editor) name? I will use the volume number as locator and put the page number in the suffix section.