no automatic attach of snapshots

Hi,
I definitely have the box checked for Zotero to automatically attach snapshots when creating items from webpages, but this isn't happening, for some reason. I can manually attach snapshots, but it would be way more handy for this to happen automatically. Is there something I'm overlooking? I'm using Zotero 1.5b2 and FF 3.0.8.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much.
LLM
  • How are you creating the items?
  • I'm clicking on the icon in the address bar. In the past, this has saved the item information and also simultaneously created an attached snapshot, but I noticed tonight that although the item gets saved, no snapshot is created.
  • Ive been doing some experiments to try to isolate the problem. I just tried to save something for JSTOR and got the item, the snapshot, and the PDF. I then tried saving an item from WorldCat and again, got the item information saved, but no snapshot.

Here's the WorldCat item I tried: http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/228170395&referer=brief_results
  • Ok, the "Automatically take snapshots when creating items from web pages" preference attaches snapshots to pages you create when you click the "Create New Item From Current Page" button. It is not related to the icon in the location bar. The "Create New Item From Current Page" button is generally used when there is no specific site translator, it allows you to archive any webpage.

The JSTOR translator is set up to grab snapshots and PDFs, the WorldCat translator, like all other library catalogs, is not set up to grab any additional files.

If you really want to attached snapshots of pages from WorldCat you will need to take a page snapshot and drag it onto the associated item.
  • edited March 31, 2009
    Tjowens,

Thanks for the explanation. This all makes better sense. I really thought that WorldCat items created by clicking the location bar used to automatically get snapshots of the item's page, as I have lots of WorldCat items that I added by clicking in the location bar with attached snapshots that I don't recall manually creating.

Anyways, no matter. I'll start taking snapshots and attaching them.

Thanks much.

Cheers.

LLM
  • Actually, the snapshot pref does affect saving from the address bar, but whether snapshots are available is still translator-specific. They're generally only made available on pages that have full content (e.g., New York Times articles).