Zotero Sync preferences does not accept my login information

First I created an account with a username (not email) as the login and a password that included a ^ and $. Sync preferences did not accept that login information.
Then I changed the password and removed the ^. Restarted my computer. I could login but Sync preferences did not accept that same login information.
Changed the password again and removed the $. Restarted my computer. I could not login with username, only email. Sync preferences would not accept that same login information with either the username or email.
I am feeling extremely frustrated. Zotero can't claim to be easy to use if such an elementary action as logging in and setting sync preferences doesn't work. I want to be able to get on with using Zotero not fiddling with settings.
Yesterday I found what appeared to be useful information in the documentation and I followed its suggestions. Today I can't find it.
Please help.
  • edited February 15, 2017
    Sorry for the delay. It seems like you've since starting syncing successfully?

For what it's worth, characters like ^ and & in passwords shouldn't cause any problems, and we're not aware of any specific issues. In any case, the upcoming Zotero 5.0 uses an entirely new sync architecture, so any existing issues are unlikely to occur with that.