"Install LibreOffice Add-in" Button does not do anything on click

Hallo everybody,

I am quite desperate over here. First of all my setup:

- VirtualBox 5.1.14 r112924 (Qt5.6.2)
- Virtual Machine openSUSE Leap 42.2.20161212
- LibreOffice Version: 5.0.6.3 x86_64 Build-ID: 490fc03b25318460cfc54456516ea2519c11d1aa
___ This is not from the OpenSUSE distro but installed from the RPM available from LibreOffice
___ at http://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/5.0.6.3/rpm/x86_64/
___ the following RPMs are installed:
_____ LibreOffice_5.0.6.3_Linux_x86-64_rpm.tar.gz
_____ LibreOffice_5.0.6.3_Linux_x86-64_rpm_langpack_de.tar.gz
_____ LibreOffice_5.0.6.3_Linux_x86-64_rpm_helppack_de.tar.gz
- java-1_7_0-openjdk / 1.7.0.121-37.2-x86_64 / OpenJDK 7 runtime environment / OpenSUSE
- java-1_8_0-openjdk / 1.8.0.121-6.4-x86_64 / OpenJDK 8 runtime environment / OpenSUSE
- Zotero-4.0.29.10_linux-x86_64

Now what happens:

- I open a new terminal and change to the Zotero installation sitting in folder Zotero_linux-x86_64
- I issue the following command at the prompt: ./run-zotero.sh
- Zotero fires up as expected
- I open the preferences page at: /Zotero/Edit/Prefences/Cite/Word Processors/
- I click on button: Install LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice Add-in
- The user interface tells me by changing the buttons color that I have interacted with it
- And then: nothing happens

What I am used to is that now the installation wizard for the Add-in should come up but it does not. Back in LibreOffice Writer there is also no Zotero toolbar. LibreOffice is aware of both JREs and I also switched forth and back between them in the LibreOffice Wirter settings but that does not change anything.

I am really stuck.

The really nasty thing is that I have the same setup running in VM with OpenSUSE 13.2 and it just works out. For sure the 13.2 setup differs with respect to minor version numbers.

So, any help on that appreciated.

Thanks for your great efforts.

Thomas
  • LO integration has been successfully tested with Java 1.8.0 on Linux, so stick to that setting in LibreOffice. It would be good if you upgraded to the latest version of LO as linux interactions with different versions of Java and LO are flaky.

If you get no results provide a Debug ID for clicking the install button and we will take a look.
  • @adomasven

OK, I tried the following:

- leave everything unchanged but
    - switch over to LiberOffice
    ___Version: 5.2.5.1 Build-ID: 0312e1a284a7d50ca85a365c316c7abbf20a4d22
    - swtich on "Debug Output Logging"
    - immediately switch over to "Cite"
    - click "Install ... Add-in" Button
    - again nothing happens
    - immediately switch back over to "Advanced"
    - finding that nothing has been logged

When looking into Writer's preferences I can see that only Java 1.8.0 is available an that Writer is also configured to make use of it.

So far so good, what to do next?

Thank you for you commitment any further pointers highly appreciated.

Thomas

• Have you tried manual install (i.e. installing the .oxt from within LibreOffice)
  • @adamsmith

Dear Adam,

just tried it and what I get is the "Could not create Java implementation Loader" error.

The libreoffice-java-common package as pointed out here seems not to be available with OpenSUSE https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting.

What could I try next?

Thank you for your guidance and your effort!

Thomas
  • right, that's a debian or ubuntu package. But the error you're getting indicates that Java isn't working correctly in LibreOffice. This is a constant struggle with LO, unfortunately.

I don't know if Adomas has anything else -- I wouldn't know how to troubleshoot JREs in LO on OpenSUSE. You could try with some diferent JREs? Not sure what's available in SUSE.
  • @adamsmith

Dear Adam,

thank you so much for that pointer, that is, if I get you right, we should have a candidate for the root cause of the problem and that is the Java runtime LibreOffice integration.

I will try to play with different Java Runtimes. Maybe this could be the solution or at least a work around for the moment. I will come back with the results.

Meanwhile, if anybody has any further ideas on this issue please feel free to put them straight forward. I will be listening.

Thanks to all of you for your help and great effort.

Thomas
  • yes, that's exactly what I meant
  • @adamsmith

Dear Adam,

I have good news, your interpretation seems to be right as I did the following:

- uninstall JRE versions provided by openSUSE
    - installed the Oracle JRE version jre-8u111-linux-x64.rpm available from the Oracle
    ___java archive at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/archive-139210.html
    - registered the JRE with LibreOffice
    - performed the manual installation (Zotero button still not working)
    - restarted LibreOffice
    - found the Zotero tool bar

and perfromed a successful cite.

Now why JRE version 1.8.0_111 is to be explained in that this is the version which openSUSE shipped with my openSUSE 13.2 VM, within which Zotero is just fine.

So next thing to do is to revert the snapshot I am running on and try to reproduce the above. I will be back once I can confirm successful reproduction.

Thanks for all the help and pointers and great effort.

Thomas