Zotero to Desktop folder?

The library I am building is extremely large, is there a way I can copy all of the PDFs that are stored in my library into a folder on my desktop?
Thanks!
  • Why would you want to do that? I'm not sure to follow.
  • Just as an extra backup. Currently I am compiling all of the PDFs from my computer, but they are located in a lot of different folders. So I was wondering if there was a way to put them all in one place besides Zotero.
  • Are the PDFs directly attached to your Zotero item, as in, are they stored in your Zotero storage folder? Or, are the PDFs attached using the link to file feature, in which case the PDFs can be anywhere on your drive?

If they are all in the storage folder of Zotero, the easiest thing to get them all would be to close Zotero, go to the storage folder, as use your operating systems search function to find all PDFs. In Windows, you can do this in the file explorer with "*.pdf". The search will show you all PDFs in that folder (and sub-folders). Hit select-all (ctrl+A in windows) and copy them to your desired location.
  • They are directly attached, I will try your suggestion @gurdas thanks!
  • But you should definitely continue to work with your PDFs (annotate, etc.) by going through Zotero and just use the other folder as a backup.