Right-click bug

Occasionally, when I right-click items in zotero, instead of getting the context menu it seems that an item of the menu gets selected randomly - so my item will, randomly, get deleted, duplicated, or have a note added to it, or I will be asked if I want to create a bibliography etc. At first I thought it was a problem with the mouse, but my wife started having the same problem on her laptop (also using 1.5b2). We are both using Linux - Ubuntu 8.04.

To reproduce the bug:
Right-click on different items in the library, see if strange things happen. I get some kind of problem maybe every 4 or 5 right-clicks.
  • I can't duplicate this. Which item gets deleted or duplicated, the one you were clicked on or the one you were trying to click on?
  • edited March 30, 2009
    Hi Tjowens. It's the item I try to right-click on that gets deleted/duplicated.

I am trying to figure out if I am doing anything else to cause it, but it does seem totally random. I try clicking things for a couple of minutes without problems, and then I get a series of 4/5 problems in a row.

I tried disabling other Firefox addons, but that has not solved it.
  • Hm. Can confirm this running 1.5b2 under Debian GNU/Linux "Squeeze" (aka Testing) with

Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; de; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009030814 Iceweasel/3.0.7 (Debian-3.0.7-1)

Clicked random entries in my collection (~20 times) and in four times there was no context menu but -- as it seems -- randomly selected actions:

2 x export item
    1 x create report
    1 x duplicate entry

This is really weird.
  • Do you get the same behavior in Firefox's Organize Bookmarks window?
  • Yes, indeed. For me same behaviour is shown when right-clicking bookmarks in the organize bookmarks window. So it seems as there is something wrong with firefox/iceweasel.
  • The bug has been reported for Firefox:
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=404314
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=406646

I read through the posts quickly, and to summarise: it is a problem that occurs on both Windows and Linux, but it seems that it occurs much more often on Linux. This is not only linked with bookmarking, people have reported the problem for right-clicks anywhere including in the main window.

It will be fixed for Firefox 3.5 "and maybe 3.0.9 if the patch gets approval".