Help please - Restoring from backup/server

edited February 9, 2017
Hello,

I'd greatly appreciate your help with the following question about restore from Zotero server.

I accidentally deleted a collection, tried to restore from the backup in the data directory using the "Restoring from the last automatic backup" procedure here (https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data), and I managed to mess the whole thing up. I am now confused about the sqlite file versions. I should have backed up the data folder first but didn't and now I'm kicking myself. I also accidentally tried to copy the data folder once while Zotero was still open.

Thankfully it looks like what I need is still on the Zotero server, minus the collection I deleted, which I can manually re-add. Before starting the botched restore I unchecked "sync automatically" and "sync full text content" in the preferences window.

So I think my best bet is to use the restore from Zotero server procedure to wipe the local data and use what is on the server. I noticed the warning about using this procedure only in rare, specific situations and that it can cause additional problems. So I wanted to check that this is appropriate before messing up anything further.

Do I need to delete the data directory before doing the restore from server? Will my attachment files also be downloaded? What does the reset file sync history button do, and do I need to execute this as well?

I am using Zotero standalone ver 4.0.29.17.

Thanks very much.
Jason
  • edited February 9, 2017
    I should also mention that I have a second computer at home that has not been synced with Zotero in a while. I could sync the home computer with the server and copy/paste the data directory to my work machine if that is a better option.

The work computer that I messed up is running Win10 and the computer at home is a Mac, if that makes a difference.

Thanks again.