APA citation error: adding first initial

2»
  • That makes sense! Probably some kind of program state is not reset properly when doing a Refresh I guess.

I added restarting as a solution in my original comment just to have everything in one comment.

• @FGootjes: This should be fixed now in the latest Zotero beta, and the fix will be included in 6.0.16.
  • @dstillman Awesome fast work! This is why I love the Zotero project
  • Hello, I have the same thing going on in terms of initials appearing within in-text citations (or not). For instance, I have a C. White and a G. White (different years). When I initially put them in, there are no initials. Then if I do a refresh later (this is in a thesis-length google doc so auto-refresh is turned off) the initials turn up. If I make an individual edit, the initial vanishes again. The with-initial state is correct for APA (even if I dislike it!) so a doc refresh seems to give the correct state. Just curious as to why the initials don't appear until after a refresh? Appreciate this is a very low-level issue that caused me mild confusion rather than a bug, but if there's a way that initials could insert it correctly it might help save others some head-scratching. I'm on 6.0.27 with the gdocs connector.
  • @Joby do you have automatic citation updates turned off? You could check in the Document Preferences window or see it if the citations have a dotted underline until you refresh. If automatic updates are disabled, then things like citation disambiguation will be disabled until Refresh.
  • Yes, the document is huge and takes an age to update so auto-updates are off, and yes, a refresh (mostly) rectifies, but I guess I am curious as to why the citations get placed with an incorrect format when you first add them (or if you make an individual reference tweak).
  • One of the things that’s very time consuming during updates is comparing all of the citations to see if they need to be disambiguated with initials or year suffixes. Skipping that is one of the major speed gains with automatic updates turned off.

The underlining is indicating that the formatting shouldn’t be treated as final until you Refresh.

This is the expected behavior.
  • FWIW, in Google Docs (at least for me on Mac, Chrome), there isn't any underlining of references before or after a refresh.
  • It's gray highlighting in Google Docs. We can't make underlines there. Anyway, same idea:

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/citations_underlined