Word plugin adds letter to the publication year (edited volume)

This is how it's supposed to look:
(Glushko et al. 2013, p. 240)

This is what it looks like:
(Glushko et al. 2013a, p. 240)

I cite one chapter from an edited volume. I added multiple chapters from the book + the edited volume itself in Zotero and connected them via the related tab. I don't know why Zotero adds a letter to the publication year?
  • Does this happen in a new document? Is there a citation with 2013b anywhere in the document?
  • edited February 4, 2017
    Yes, happens too in a new document, once I cite more than one chapter from this edited volume. Maybe Zotero thinks I refer to different publications of the same authors (Glushko et al.) and the same year (2013), even though it's just different chapters from the same publication (edited volume)? Is there something I have to consider when referencing various chapters from an edited volume (I created entries for all the various chapters + an entry for the edited volume as a whole, all connected via the related tab)?
  • Also, the ibid function doesn't work...?
  • What style are you using?
    And I'm having a hard time following exactly what you are describing. Could you paste two of the chapter citations (the full references, not just Glushko et al., 2013) here?
  • I use a German language style (unlike the examples I mentioned above): it's called "Fachhochschule Vorarlberg (author-date, German)".
  • Can you post two references?
  • Okay, the problem with the letter automatically added to the years seems to have disappeared. I don't get the "ibid." function to work however.

Here are two inline citations of two different chapters of a edited volume:
    (Glushko; Hemerly; u.a. 2013)
    (Glushko; Annechino; u.a. 2013)

These are the corresponding full bibliographic references:
    Glushko, Robert J.; Annechino, Rachelle; u.a. (2013): „Categorization: Describing Ressource Classes and Types“. In: The discipline of organizing. Cambridge, Mass. [u.a.]: MIT Press.

Glushko, Robert J.; Hemerly, Jess; u.a. (2013): „Classification: Assigning Resources to Categories“. In: The discipline of organizing. Cambridge, Mass. [u.a.]: MIT Press.

Okay, what the style you are using does to disambiguate references--i.e., two references that would be shown as (Glushko u.a. 2013)--to make it clear which you are talking about is to add additional authors until it is clear (like the two you show above) or add the letters to the year if the authors are exactly the same. That is necessary in order to specify which (Glushko u.a. 2013) you are talking about.

Regarding Ibid., it's not that the function isn't working, it's just that the style doesn't use Ibid at all. Is this the style your university requires, or are you just looking for a German style? If the latter, there are a lot of other German styles in the Zotero style repository that do use Ibid. You could use one of them. You could also use a generic style like Chicago that uses it.
  • I'm not required to use this style, but it seemed to be the closest to the style I want. In the Zotero style repository, is there a way to tell whether a style uses Ibid. (or German: ebd.)?

I actually want some kind of "German Harvard style": inline citation (author-year) and a bibliography with full bibliographic records either at the end.

I already messed up my references, since I edited them manually before I became aware of the extended functionality of the Quick Format Citation Dialog and the Classical View of the Word Plugin.
  • Have you tried just searching for "German" in the style repository and checking the author-date box at the top? That should get you a fair number of choices, some would seem to be close to what you want.
  • Yes, that's the way I do it. Unfortunately there is no way for me to filter for ibid. / ebd. as well.
  • note styles usually have the ibid thing and you can filter for that.
  • right, but those are note based and Isaak wants a "Harvard" type style -- there are a couple of German author-date styles with ibid, but I don't think there's anything apart from grep on the whole repository that'd be able to find them.
  • What would an author-date style with ibid look like? (ibid) in text on subsequent citations?
  • Thanks! Will try them.