one source in multiple collections

Hello again,

Apologies if this question has already been answered.

I am a member of a group library. When I check for duplicates, I find the same source in multiple sub- and sub-sub collections. I am unable to merge these sources.

How would I go about merging these sub- and sub-sub collections within the overall Group library?

Thanks,
Susan

• This is just a single item, present in multiple collection, so you can't merge it. You can remove it from individual collections where you don't want it.
  • Hmmm. My CMS is finding it in both collections, which leaves text production staff to choose between multiple instances.

Does this mean I have to direct the CMS to search in one collection only?
  • edited February 2, 2017
    are you sure it's not one and the same item? In which case it doesn't matter which of the two they choose. See here to clarify Zotero collections: https://www.zotero.org/support/collections_and_tags#the_zotero_collections_model

And if you're using a non-Zotero toolchain, you'd have to let us know what that is. I don't know how various CMSs handle Zotero collections.
  • Sadly, one instance of the item has a pdf attached and the other does not.

The pdf-instance was added for a book project, and the non-pdf instance for a monograph project. I was hoping we could combine the collections somehow and merge both instances so CMS staff have just one to choose from. Of course we would save the pdf-instance.

Our CMS is bespoke. I'd have to research our CMS-Zotero interface with our Dev people to know how it handles the collections.

• Then you should be able to see both either in Duplicates view or under "My Library", select and merge them.
  • Strangely I was unable to do so before this convo but now I can. Abject apologies, and thanks for your time and energy.

Susan