Insert Bibliography Error

I'm having trouble inserting a bibliography into my document. Using the Zotero add-on for Word 2016 on my iMac running El Capitan, every time I try to insert a bibliography, I get the message "You must insert a citation before performing this operation." I've used other Macs with the same software and OS and it worked fine.

Any suggestions?
  • And you are sure there are Zotero-inserted citations in that document?
    Does this work in a test doc -- insert one citation, the insert bibliography?
  • @adamsmith Ah, no—not yet. This is a stand-alone bibliography right now that will later be added to a dissertation. I updated some of the entries in the standalone and was going to start a new bibliography document from the updated version, but apparently that can't be done?
  • If you just want a bibliography, create it directly from the entries in Zotero. No need to use the Word add-on at all.
  • @adamsmith That's the way I've always done it before, but I didn't know if doing it this way would allow me to use the refresh option should I make changes to entries as I go, as with a footnote.
  • oh no, it wouldn't. Why not start with the footnotes, then insert the bibliography -- done that way it'll update automatically