ibidem

edited February 1, 2017
How do I handle ibidem references in Zotero (referring to the same reference for a second time in a row)? I'm using Word 2013 (Windows), but I would like to stick to Zotero for handling all my references and not mix Word functions and Zotero functions if avoidable. So, how do you do it?
  • Lot's of styles, including the Chicago styles, just handle ibid. automatically. Have you tried?
  • So it depends on the style I've chosen? I use DIN 1505-2 style currently, since I'm working on a German language academic text. It doesn't look like this style is supporting it.

A follow up question:

What about references to multiple sources at once? Do I also need to chose a style that supports it or how does Zotero handle it? For example: when I have a passage that constitutes a synthesis of multiple references? Is it possible to reference all these multiple references inside one set of parenthesis?
  • edited February 1, 2017
    Yes, depends on the style. There are several German styles that do support it, but no super easy way to test. You'd have to try.

For multiple sources see https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#citations_with_multiple_cited_items
  • edited February 1, 2017
    The problem is: I have a text with many citations already. A lot of my citations are edited manually. For example, I have a citation (Miller 1979) and I edited it to (see Miller 1979). Now if I change a style, my manual edits will be lost. Only the actual Zotero citation will remain (Miller 1979). So, by switching I lose all my manual edits.
  • Not sure how to help you then, I'm afraid -- updating your existing citation style would have the same effect. Not that (as per that same link) the right way to add citations to add "see" and the like is to use the prefix/suffix field. That way you can freely switch styles.
  • "the right way to add citations to add "see" and the like is to use the prefix/suffix field. That way you can freely switch styles"

Could you elaborate a bit further please. How do I add the prefix/suffix field when I import citations into Word?

Oh, I just found the classical view for the citation import, which allows me to add prefixes and import multiple citations at once. Is this the right way to do it: use the classical view?
  • You can also use the regular view -- see the link above for details.