Total Beginner

Hello, I am a total beginner with Zotero and citations in general. I have installed Zotero on my Mac, plus the add in in Word. I have selected Chicago style. I have a few questions. I know I must sound totally dumb, but I just can't figure out these things.
1) When I insert a citation in my Word document, it inserts a number in htat place and then creates a footnote on that page. However, I don't wan this. I want the author name and year, or whatever is correct for Chicago, in the text and then just the total bibliography in the end. How do I do this?
2) I had already imported all my pdf documents into Zotero. However, it doesnt seem to be able to cite from them. Do I need to import them in a certain format? Or do I need to download them again in Firefox, and then import each of them into Zotero from there?
Many thanks
Sonja
  • (1) Change the style you use (click on Document Preferences in the Zotero tab in Word) and choose Chicago (author-date).

(2) Rigt click on the PDF in Zotero (you can select multiple at a time) and choose Retrieve Metadata for PDF. Zotero will try to find the reference data for the items. If it can't find the information for some, you can right-click on those and choose Create Parent Item and enter the information manually.

Moving forward, you will want to import items into Zotero using the Zotero button in your browser:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/getting_stuff_into_your_library
  • Wonderful, it works! Thanks so much! Cheers, Sonja