Post Storage subscription cancellation

edited January 31, 2017
I have a question regarding the above. If one was to cancel or decide not to renew their annual storage subscription and had say, 3GB worth of Zotero data, what then happens to the rest of the data if they want to continue using the Zotero standalone app (as well as the browser extension)? Do they still have the data kept but just cannot be able to store further data? Or do they lose data to reduce it back to the 300mb limit? One would not wish to lose all of their data in the event of a subscription cancellation, and I think it's a valid question most Zotero users would like an answer to.

Kind regards
  • Zotero doesn't delete your local data unless you explicitly tell it to do so. If you remove your subscription to Zotero storage, the online copies of the files may be removed after a short time until the total amount is below 300mb, but the local files on your hard drives will not be affected.
  • Thank you for your reply bwiernik.

Therefore with the local files remaining on your hard drive you can see all the collections you already had on your zotero standalone app, yet in order to add further collections and new data this could not be done unless you purchased a new online storage annual subscription and sync the standalone to reflect the original 3GB of data back onto the online storage plus adding further data?
  • No, you're still thinking of file storage as much more essential to using Zotero than it is -- the _only_ thing you need file storage for is to sync files between computers and to the server. You can always
    1. Add as many files and collections as you want locally
    2. Sync as much metadata -- i.e. top level items, collections, notes -- as you want to the server and between computers.
  • The local Zotero program is completely separate from syncing and online storage. You can make changes to your library however you want without syncing and it will not be a problem. With syncing enabled, syncing your library data (collections, item metadata [title, authors, year, etc.], tags, etc.) to the Zotero website/other computers is also free. The only thing that is affected by purchasing online storage (or not) is syncing attachment files (PDFs, webpage snapshots, word documents, etc.). If you exceed your allotted online storage space, syncing your library data will continue as normal, but new files will not be uploaded. If you don't want to use file syncing, you can disable it in the local Zotero program preferences (Tools -> Options).
  • I see, I think I have understood that thank you both adamsmith and bwiernik. My Zotero storage shows as having reached its 300mb limit...so syncing of my library data will continue as normal but new files will not be updated if I am syncing attachment files (PDFs, webpage snapshots, word documents). But everything else can be added as normal. At least that's what I think I understand here. And if I disable file syncing it doesn't stop me saving webpages but how then does it update between the standalone and zotero browser plugin if I am adding new stuff?
  • You'd just disable _file_ syncing. That's a separate checkbox.

And the connection between standalone and browser plugin doesn't rely on sync at all.
  • Then it seems as if it almost renders the sync feature as pointless. So if I disable sync it will still save my collections and data on both regardless on both the standalone and browser plugin?
  • Maybe you mean something different by "browser plugin" but the sync feature is intended to allow using Zotero on multiple devices (2 computers, computer and cell phone, etc.) and to collaborate in groups. If you're working on only one machine, the only thing it does for you is to provide an additional back-up (which can be quite useful, but since it's not versioned isn't something I'd rely on as the only back-up solution).
  • Ah, well I use 3 different computers and I had though from what I read, is that I could disable the sync feature if all 3 computers were directed to my dropbox zotero folder. Hence the slight confusion here as to what can and can't be done.
  • wait "Dropbox Zotero folder"? What is that? You should not have Zotero data in a syncing Dropbox folder.
  • @adamsmith I just saw your comment above, albeit sometime after you posted, having been quite busy with work at that time last year and not referring back to see your response. Ironically I should have heeded your response as that is exactly what I have done, and coincidentally had not long just posted a new discussion regarding this as follows

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/72556/can-my-zotero-data-stored-in-dropbox-be-redirected-back-to-the-original-default-location?new=1

As someone who was only just a bit more advanced than a newbie at the time with Zotero, my understanding of the synchronisation issues relating to Dropbox with my Zotero data storage being stored and synced within it was not sufficient to have considered them