Authors missing when saving to Zotero from Journal of Chemical Physics

When I select 'Save to Zotero using "Atypon journals"' on a Journal of Chemical Physics article (e.g. http://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.2203068), the record created in Zotero is missing author information. Using the alternative 'Save to Zotero using "DOI"' does capture author information, but I would prefer to use "Atypon journals" as this creates a snapshot and grabs the PDF automatically.

I am happy to help debug this issue, if someone more knowledgeable can point me to the necessary steps.

Thanks!
  • This is a problem with their data, if you could report to them (i.e. AIP)? Don't mention Zotero, which they may not know or want to blame for the problem. The issue is the RIS data on the site.
    Click on Tools --> Download Citation, select RIS and uncheck direct Download -- you'll notice that the authors are missing there. That's also what Zotero uses for import.

We can try to work around this, but it's messy and it'd be much better if they could fix it.
  • Okay, thanks. I have sent a message to tech support describing the issue with their citation data in RIS format. It seems likely that this was a bug introduced when the journal website was overhauled, since importing with Zotero from AIP journals used to work without issue. Perhaps it will be an easy fix for them to implement.
  • I'd like to add my voice as a request to prioritize this issue. Over the last few days there are probably 6-8 journals I've had to type in authors by hand from AIP journals. I appreciate the efforts to fix this.
  • Hi slomich, if you want to prioritize the issue, it might help if you also send an independent message to AIP about the issue with the RIS data (as described in adamsmith's post). If they receive multiple messages, AIP will perhaps deal with this with greater urgency.
  • edited February 2, 2017
    Yes, please do this. I'll give this 4 weeks on our side, then I'll start looking into a workaround. But as I say, it's messy and we shouldn't have to do it, so much better if they fix what's 100% their issue.
  • Update: The issue persists. I received an e-mail from AIP last week stating that the issue had been raised with the technical team. Hopefully they will be able to resolve this in the near future.

Workaround: In the meantime, I have found a simple workaround which avoids having to manually type in author names or manually add snapshots / PDFs for AIP articles:

1. Use the 'Save to Zotero using "Atypon journals"' option to save an entry with a snapshot and full text PDF, but without author names.

2. Use the 'Save to Zotero using "DOI"' option to save another entry with correct author names, but without the snapshot or full text PDF.

3. Select both entries in Zotero and then in the right click menu, select "Merge Items...". In the right panel, select the option to merge items, using the DOI entry as the "master".

The result is a single entry with correct author names and an attached snapshot and full text PDF.