italics in footnote

How can I italicize a certain word or phrase within the footnote dialog box?
  • I think you should be able to enclose it in html tags, i.e. <i>this is in italics</i>
  • Gee, that works! Thanks so much, Adam!
  • The html tag for italics seems not to work for a book title. Any other fix?
  • example of a book title in the "title" field: Ernst Lohmeyer's Kyrios Jesus
  • Not quite sure I follow:
    Book titles would be in italics anyway, though, so adding italics to them would reverse that (also, I'd generally discourage to edit the text of the citation proper if at all possible. It prevents proper updating of citations.
  • What we'd expect to happen would be to have this turn to
    Ernst Lohmeyer's Kyrios Jesus
    in the text. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you, so some more context would be helpful -- where are you making the changes, where are you expecting them to show up etc.
  • Oooppsss! Sorry it's a book section, so "Ernst Lohmeyer's Kyrios Jesus" is the title of a chapter in the book entitled Where Christology Began: Essays on Philippians 2
  • I want the chapter title to appear as "Ernst Lohmeyer's Kyrios Jesus" in the footnote
  • This is the full citation in FN: Colin Brown, “Ernst Lohmeyer's Kyrios Jesus,” in Where Christology Began: Essays on Philippians 2, ed. Ralph P. Martin and Brian J. Dodd (Louisville, Westminster John Knox Press, 1998), 7.
  • OK, and where are you adding the html? You should be adding it to the title of the item in Zotero. Don't edit the citation.
  • Yes, I tried adding it to the "title" field in Zotero, but the italics is not coming out in the FN
  • Could you try in a new Word document for testing?
  • edited January 20, 2017
    Here's what I found out: the html tag for italics works in the full citation, but then the italics is gone in subsequent footnote for shortened title.
  • I'm now adding the html tag in the "short title" field
  • exactly -- the short title field is separate, so you need to add the italics there separately.
  • woooohoooo! It works ;)