full citation in new chapters

Zotero fails to recognize a new chapter in Microsoft Word and thus the footnote that has been cited in previous chapters appears as a shortened footnote, instead of a full citation which is usually required when a source appears for the first time in a new chapter. Is there any fix on this? Will this feature be included in future updates?
  • You can pretty easily work around this by keeping Chapters in separate files, but that's the only available solution. I don't think this will make it as a feature in Zotero -- Word sections are used for all types of things and restarting citations after each section could lead to all types of undesirable consequences.
  • Thanks, Adam. I want to keep all the chapters together in one file, so then it seems that the only solution is to manually edit the footnotes in a new chapter.
  • You'll also run into performance issues in book length manuscripts, btw., so I'd advise against that, but it's up to you.
  • Can you please elaborate on that?
  • Word isn't great in 300 page documents to start with, especially with many footnotes, but more pertinent here, Zotero will slow down significantly in a book-length manuscript with the respective number of citations. Depending on your setup it'll take anywhere from 20secs to 2mins to insert a new citation.
  • I see. Thanks for explaining. But if I divide the different chapters into separate files, won't it be messed up when I merge them all together into one file later on? I need to submit my dissertation as a single file.
  • What do you expect to get messed up? I assume authoring in chapters is the default mode for books and dissertations. It's what I did and it's certainly what I see most frequently.
  • Okay, thanks!