Keeping Zotero fields when migrating a document from Word to GoogleDocs and back to Word

Hi all,

I have been working on a manuscript in Word (including Zotero citations) that I would now need to receive comments on from several other co-authors, who would have to edit the document in parallel/real-time rather than me sending the Word document around in a circular fashion. Google Docs is the perfect tool for this, however the problem is, after all online edits are made, all Zotero fields will have been lost.

Any suggestions how to best do this? Many thanks!
  • there's no easy solution.

You could
    1. Convert citations to bookmarks in Doc Prefs
    2. Open the document in Libre Office, convert to .odt and reference marks
    3. Use the ODF Scan add-on to convert _to_ markers
    4. Edit in Google doc
    5. Download as .odt
    6. Use ODF Scan to convert into citations
    7. Convert to bookmarks again
    8. Save as .doc
    9. Open in Word and convert back to fields.

Not great. Another option might be sharing the document in Dropbox -- you should make sure people don't edit in the DB online editor, but DB has a useful function when you try to edit a Word doc opened by another user to prevent edit conflicts, so that might help.
  • OK, so at least there are a few options then on the table. Thank you very much for your helpful reply!
  • Office 2016 (and I think 2013) can also edit documents in OneDrive by multiple people in real time. So you could just work in Word itself with Zotero.
  • ah good point, thanks!!