LibreOffice freezes when formatting references

I'm running Zotero standalone 4.0.29.15, LibreOffice 5.2.04, on Mac OSX 10.12.2

I have a LibreOffice document and I'm trying to format the bibliography. I click on "set document preferences", select "America Psychological Association 6th edition", and hit enter. The window switches back to LibreOffice, and all of my citations now just read "{Citation}", and the document is basically frozen. I can click on the menus, even open another document, but the original document just sits there. I can't interact with it or even close it, and I have to use force Quit on both LibreOffice and Zotero. I've tried this several times, including rebooting the computer at one point.
  • What version of Java? Make sure you have the JDK 1.8.0_112 or later, not the JRE.

More details: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#libreoffice_5_on_macos_1011no_response_from_plugin
  • LibreOffice is currently using jdk1.8.0_91.
  • I updated to version 112, but now I can't enable Zotero integration. LibreOffice just hangs when I try to.
  • edited January 15, 2017
    And you're sure you installed JDK 1.8.0_112, not JRE 1.8.0_112? (I believe we've mostly seen freezing with the JRE.) Check that, and also check under General -> Advanced in the LO prefs to make you only have one version installed and the path at the bottom shows the JDK path. (It will still say "JRE" at the top of the dialog).

I've just tested the plugin successfully with LibreOffice 5.2.4.2 / JDK 1.8.0_112 / LO Integration Plugin 3.5.12 / Zotero 4.0.29.16 / macOS 10.12.2.

You can also try reinstalling the LO plugin from the Cite pane of the preferences and restarting LibreOffice.

If that all looks OK, your best is probably to try uninstalling the Zotero LO plugin, LibreOffice, and Java, trying to remove (or backup) all traces of LibreOffice that you can find, and then reinstalling them, since we know this works with a clean install.
  • I definitely installed the JDK.
    I upgraded LibreOffice to 5.2.4.2 (Zotero is 4.0.29.15, plugin is 3.5.12). Didn't help. reinstalled plugin, no effect. Uninstalled plugin, deleted Java and LO and reinstalled. Same problem.
  • Update: It turns out there is a corrupt reference in my document. The very last reference in the main text, in fact. Without that reference, everything works fine.
  • It is not the corrupt reference in my case. This happens with a fresh document where there are no references yet. Has anyone yet found a solution.