Libre office plugin fails to install

Hi,

I've spent (too) many hours to try to install the Zotero libre office plugin... with no success. I have tried and re-tried to uninstall and reinstall Libreoffice, Java, and the Zotero plugin. I suspect the problem has to do with Java, but I'm not sure.
I have so many issues, that I will just list them here. First, here is my techno-ecosystem:

- I'm on OS X 10.9.2
- I have installed Java SDK 8 112
- Firefox 50.1.0
- Libre office 5.1.6.2
- Zotero 4.0.29.16
- LibreOffice Plugin 3.5.12 for firefox

The issues now:
1) What should I update / downgrade for zotero to work?
2) Why does firefox say that the libreoffice plugin is unsigned?
3) Libreoffice completely freezes when I attempt to install the plugin (automatically or manually). Zotero also freezes and is unable to give me an error ID.
4) Java seems to be installed correctly (Libre office, Safari & Chrome can recognize it). However, the test doesn't work with firefox (I use this page as a test: https://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp).
5) I use both Zotero standalone and firefox. Is that a problem? Should I try to install the Libreoffice plugin from the one or the other? Or does it matter at all?

A general question is: which versions of Firefox, Zotero, Zotero plugin, Libre office, Java has been tested and is guaranteed to work? It would also be nice to list this for all users, so we don't need to try all possible combinations.

I'd be grateful of any help, so I can start to actually work on my paper, and stop trying to debug.

Thank you.
Clément.