Library disappeared

This discussion was created from comments split from: Entire Library Disappeared.
  • Hi! I hope someone can help me with my lost library.

I just discovered that after 2 weeks of holiday my whole library disappeared. Everything was fine before but I guess there was a major update in the holidays during christmas break at our university... So now when I open Zotero I get a complete blank library. My last sync was half a year ago (stupid yes...). When I ask for the data directory zotero shows me the right path. And I can see my data there also find it via explorer. Zotero it is looking at the right place but somehow does not find or recognize the data. Copy and paste the "Zoter.sqlite" and storage folder as mentioned above did not help, neither did an Zotero update. I kind of tried everything I could find in the forum.

Please help me! Anyone! Thanks a lot!
  • Is there an "Old Firefox Data" directory on your desktop?

If so, see Reset After Firefox Reset.

If not, how many folders are there under 'storage' within your current data directory, and what are the names, dates, and sizes of the zotero.sqlite* files?
  • Thanks for the quick response
    No there is no "Old Firefox Data" directory on my desktop

My storage folder contains 329 folders. If I open them some contain just the pdf of a paper and others contain lots of different data types like pics, audio-files and so on.

I have three zotero.sqlite* files:
    "zotero" SQLITE-Datei (.sqlite) / 1,02 MB / date is today
    "zotero.sqlite.1.bak" / 1,00 MB / date: 22.10.16 (last time I used Zotero before)
    "zotero.sqlite-journal" / 580 MB / date today

• What did you mean above by "Copy and paste the "Zoter.sqlite" and storage folder as mentioned above did not help". Where were you copying from and to?

If you had approximately 329 attachments, that 'storage' directory seems correct — you can look at the creation dates there to see if that has recent files. But the 1 MB zotero.sqlite are empty — those wouldn't contain any data.

Did you really mean 580 MB for zotero.sqlite-journal? Because that would be extremely large, and I'm pretty sure something would've had to go very wrong for that to happen.

Is your data directory on a network drive, or the local hard drive?
  • The directory is on a hard drive

The dates of the storage files has also recent files.

The "zotero.sqlite-journal" just completetly disappeared??! Whats going on here? What is this file? Could it be because i opened a journal online and it was just temporary?

This "Copy and paste the "Zoter.sqlite" I found here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#where_did_my_items_go under "Restoring your Zotero library from a backup and overwriting synced changes"

So the problem is that my "Zotero.sqlite" file has lost its data?
  • The zotero.sqlite-journal is a temporary file that will appear and disappear as you open Zotero. You can ignore that.

But yes, the problem is that you have a new, empty zotero.sqlite file. I can't tell you what happened to that — could be disk corruption, security software, human error — but you'll need to search your computer and/or your backups for zotero.sqlite* files that are larger.
  • Ok i run a search on the whole computer for all zotero.sqlite* files and there is no larger file than 1,02 MB I sthere anything else I can do? I also checked the trash if i might have deleted something by accident but nope!