possible RIS field mapping bug

When item type is "Report" in an RIS record, the report number has to be tagged as SN (which is normally used for the ISSN) in order for Zotero to import the report number into the "report number" field. It seems like it would make a lot more sense for Zotero to recognize the RIS VL tag or the IS tag for report numbers? I know tag mapping is weird across record formats, but this particular example just seems so wrong. Is there a reason it is this way?
  • I'm pretty sure that's because it's what Endnote does and they inherited the standard. Is this causing problems with something in particular?
  • This is correct behavior per the latest version of 'EN RIS Documentation.xls' that is on the internet archive (I can't seem to find where TR has relocated it on their site).
  • I'm writing a script to download RIS records from an internal technical report registration database (FileMaker). I was worried that tagging the report number with SN so import would work in Zotero would mess up import for other citation managers. It sounds like this is just how RIS format works for report item type, and the weirdness is not peculiar to Zotero, so I will stop worrying about it =) Thanks!