Zotero standalone Mac very slow

edited January 5, 2017
Hello!

I am a happy Zotero user and am in the middle of a massive bibliography project involving around 20,000 entries. Zotero is working beautifully for me at home on an ancient Core 2 Duo machine. But on my office's modern iMac, Zotero is running unusably slowly. My complete library currently has about 10,000 files in it.

Zotero starts in a reasonable amount of time, but every operation is painful. To switch between collections of ca. 500 items each causes the spinning rainbow wheel to come up for 5-10 seconds. If I move an item into a collection, it takes about 30-50 seconds before I am able to do anything else.

I have tried uninstalling Zotero, deleting all the local libraries, reinstalling, and syncing with the server. Unfortunately, the slowness persists.

As I said, I'm using Zotero standalone with my home Core 2 Windows machine for this same project with no problems. I'm wondering whether there is a known flaw with the Mac version, or whether my problem is idiosyncratic to my machine.

Thanks!

Jonathan
  • No, it's definitely not a problem with the Mac version. If anything that should be the fastest version due to fast disk access on Macs.

1) Do you have the tag selector open in the bottom left on one machine but not the other? That's one known cause of slowness for libraries with a very large number of tags.

2) Do you have any Zotero extensions installed? If so, try disabling them.

3) Is your Zotero data directory on a network share rather than the local hard drive?

4) If none of that applies, provide a Debug ID for an operation that's slow and we'll take a look.
  • Dan--

I am *deeply* grateful for your reply. I turned off the tag selector on the Mac version, and the problem disappeared.

Interestingly, I *do* have the tag selector open on my old Core 2 Duo machine, and there's no problem.

But the important thing (from my perspective) is that the problem is solved, and work can continue. Thank you so much!
This discussion has been closed.