Zotero Online Storage - ran out of space - what to do?

Hi,
Zotero has become a very helpful tool, yet I haven't really worked out the best way to use it yet. I use it for bookmarks, but mainly for handling journal articles and such that I need for my studies. The online sync function comes in handy, since this allows me to a) backup my collection and b) access it from anywhere.

Of course the free Storage is limited to 300 mb. I now have exceeded this limit. Of course I could purchase additional storage and Zotero offers fair deals for this. But I wondered whether there is a more "economical" way to do it. How are you handling this? Are you storing all your full text PDFs or are you just saving the references to the Fulltexts (for example PubMed) without the actual PDFs? The latter would of course have the disadvantage, that I wouldn't have access to the full texts from outside, if I'm not in the institution which has licensed the specific full texts (for example a specific academic library).

I guess I kind of answered my own question:
save full texts when it's not openly accessible from anywhere, only save the references when it's open access, right?
  • Yes, that strategy would cut down on the storage you use.

I like having offline access to papers [I don't have net access on travel all the time, sites go down, etc.] & I don't like having to purge attachments manually. When I was conserving money, I ran my own WebDAV server & used that to sync.

Now, I pay for zotero storage & appreciate both the ease and the added group functionality and it is still cheaper than other reference managers.
  • +1 to that -- in addition to running your own WebDAV, you can also use one of the available commercial options that offer higher amounts of free storage than Zotero. There's a list here https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/webdav_services but as noksagt says, if you can afford it, Zotero's own web storage really does provide a smoother user experience.
  • Great, thanks!