view public group library in desktop Zotero client

Is it possible to access a public group library via the desktop client if you aren't a member of the group? Functionality for searching and exporting is better in the client than via the web (e.g., I don't think you can export CSV from the web interface).

Alternatively, is there a "read only" member setting that would allow somebody to use the group library in their desktop client, but not add, edit, or delete records?

We are using Zotero to maintain a record of staff publications, and some admin staff could use more functional access to the data than the web interface provides, but I'd rather they didn't have the ability to make changes.
  • Alternatively, is there a "read only" member setting that would allow somebody to use the group library in their desktop client, but not add, edit, or delete records?
    Yes, you can restrict editing to group admins, and then regular members won't be able to make changes.

We've also talked about allowing "subscriptions" to public group libraries in the client, which sounds like basically what you're asking for, but that's still a ways off, so the admin/member approach is your best bet for now.
  • Thank you--this was extremely helpful info!
  • @dstillman
    Has there been any movement on "subscriptions" to public group libraries in the client? It would be incredibly convenient, especially copy over items into my personal collections.
  • Here to ask same question - there's a great one I found through the web but I can't for the life of me figure out how to see it in my desktop app. Is that functionality not there yet, or am I missing something?
  • @eggodwin: Nothing new on subscribing to public libraries. Currently you'd just have to join the group and sync.