PDF of full articles fail to download automatically when adding a new citation from some journals.

When I try to download citations from elsivier's Science Direct, or from Springer, or from ProQuest, the citation gets incorporated into my Zotero Database, but the PDF of the full article fails to download to my database. I then have to download the PDF separately and then upload it into my Zotero database separately. This takes a lot more time. With other journals, I just download the citation and the pdf comes along with it. Is there a way to fix this so the articles from these journals download automatically?
  • Zotero will typically download the PDF if it is accessible on the page. When it doesn't grab the PDF, is there a link to it on the page? Does it go directly to the PDF (not a login screen or confirmation dialog, etc.)? If so, please provide a URL for a page where this isn't working (or one for each publisher where it isn't working).
  • This is happening using Zotero Standalone on Mac with Safari. The citation process works great, except for these three sources, the PDFs do not download along with the citation.
  • Yes there is a link to the pdf right here on the page and when I click it, the PDF can be downloaded easily to my computer. and then I upload it into my Zotero database. Tedious. I will give you links in a minute. Many thanks!
  • Here is a link for an article in Science Direct: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0161813X04001093

When I go there, I first use my university facility to get behind the pay wall. At that point, the PDF logo at the top of the page changes from "Purchase" to "Download". At that point I click the Zotero citation download button in my Safari Browser, and the citation downloads. A little box opens at the lower right hand corner of my screen that says "Saving to " and it lists what it is saving.. Usually there are three things (1) the citation, (2) a snapshot (3) the PDF. But Always at the three sources listed in my first post, after a few seconds the PDF line turns red and a big red X appears on that line. And the PDF does not download. At that point I go back up to the top of the page and click the download button next to the PDF logo, the PDF downloads to my desktop, and I have to go into Zotero and upload the PCF to my Zotero Database. This takes 3 times as long as with other journals, where the automatic download works and the PDF is incorporated into Zotero automatically. So there is no problem for me to access the PDFs, but they do not download automatically. It is really inconvenient.

Thanks for you r help.
  • A fair number of services (including Sciencedirect, EBSCO, and ProQuest) currently don't import PDFs when you
    a) use one of the connectors and
    b) go through a library proxy
    This would very likely work if you tried on campus.
    It's my understanding that it will work for you with the next Zotero version, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • Yes, the next version of the connectors should handle proxies much better.
  • In the meantime, is there any workaround?
    And when will the next version be available?
  • Available workarounds are
    1) connect on campus
    2) connect using VPN if offered by your school
    3) use the Firefox add-on with Standalone closed

I think the ETA for the new version is weeks.
  • Thanks Adam, I will try Firefox and hold out for the new version!
  • Adam, Dan,
    Firefox worked well for most journals. Great solution. I assume that the newly uploaded data will sync with my zotero standalone.
    Thanks for your help!
    John

• Yes Zotero for Firefox and Standalone use the same database on your computer by default.
This discussion has been closed.