[5.0 Beta] Unable to retrieve PDF metadata on Linux due to missing non-executable pdfinfo/pdftotext

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero 5 beta stuck when try to retrieve PDF metadata.
  • Hi Dan, I'm still not able to index items. Just installed build 102, linux Mint 18.
    From a quick look at the debug lines, it looks like maybe this is the problem:

"/home/jon/Zotero/pdftotext-Linux-x86_64 is not an executable"

I will try setting to 'allow executing file as a program' and see if that works

The Debug ID is D958930018.
  • Hmm, that's a different issue. If you haven't changed anything yet, could I see the output for ls -la pdf* in that directory?
  • OK, also had to set pdfinfo.sh to run as executalbe

new debug id is D2032030406.

which looks like it should have worked only for some reason the status on indexed is set to "unknown"
  • pdfinfo-Linux-x86_64, pdfinfo.sh, and pdftotext-Linux-x86_64 all need to be executable. I'm not sure how they became non-executable for you, since they're set executable when they're installed and there's no reason that the data directory migration to ~/Zotero should have changed that. (I just tested this on Ubuntu and they remained 755.) It it possible you made changes on your own that would've affected this?
  • OK, my bad - set pdfinfo-Linux-x86_64 to executable too, and now all is good - and I almost certainly did change the settings when I was trying to reinstall them thinking that might fix the indexing problem before I saw this thread.
  • Ah, OK, great. Thanks.