Bug: neighboring references are merged by the OpenOffice plugin

I think that there is a problem in the Zotero OpenOffice Integration plugin when 2 references in an ODF document are next to each other, with no space between them. When using the Zotero refresh button, citations get merged together instead of staying separate.

To reproduce this bug:
1/ Create an ODF document
2/ Put a reference
3/ Insert a space
4/ Insert another reference
5/ Remove the space between the references
6/ Click on the Zotero refresh button
7/ Observe how only that all references have disappeared except for the last one

Software specs:
OpenOffice.org 3.0.1
Zotero OpenOffice Integration 2.0a2
Firefox 3.0.7
Zotero 1.5b2
Linux 2.6.27-14
  • Is it not a good place to report the bug? Should it go in the "1.5 beta" section of the forum instead?
  • I think this has been previously reported & I can certainly confirm it. It only happens when you use fields. Adjacent references should probably be a single, grouped reference anyway (and there are already requests to make the plugin re-write adjacent references as a grouped reference, which would presumably solve your issue). If you'd really like to have two adjacent references now, you'd have to use bookmarks.
  • Hi noksagt,

Thanks for the heads up. I have seen no reference of that particular bug, although there were some resembling bugs.

I have to agree that probably having neighboring references like I showed is not common. I can happen however, by mistake or voluntarily. Who is to dictate what users should and shoudn't do?

I really appreciate the work that the Zotero team has done and I for sure would welcome a feature to automatically group references.

Cheers,

PS/ I'm pretty sure you guys have thought about it, but a proper bug report tools would be quite useful.
  • PS/ I'm pretty sure you guys have thought about it, but a proper bug report tools would be quite useful.
    There is an issue tracker, but all bugs should be reported in the forums (low threshold to report them, easy to address dups, etc.).

https://www.zotero.org/trac