"Save to Zotero" button doesn't work for PDFs

I'm using Zotero with Safari on a Mac and have noticed that the "save to Zotero" button is inactive for PDFs. I've tried right-clicking on the background of the page, but I don't get an option to save to my Zotero library. This happens with both the Zotero website and Standalone, and it doesn't seem to matter whether Standalone is open or not. I have two questions related to this:

1. Is there a more intuitive means of getting PDFs into my library besides creating a new reference item and cutting and pasting the URL?
2. Once I have cut and pasted a URL as a new item in my library, I can't get Zotero to retrieve the metadata for the PDF. I have looked through the forum and came across some indications that there's a PDF indexer that might help, but I can't figure out how to install it (or if I actually need it).

Thanks!
  • Getting PDFs from Safari is currently a bit clumsy. I believe that's addressed in the next version of the connector (of you could use Chrome, where that's already the case)

Could you specify what "can't get Zotero to retrieve the metadata" means specifically? You can't find the option or it fails? And if so, with what error message?
  • I can't find it - I read through https://www.zotero.org/support/retrieve_pdf_metadata, but right-clicking does not bring up this option for me, and I can't find it anywhere in any of the command buttons on Zotero.org or Standalone.
  • It seems to be something about how I saved it - I dragged it over as a link, and it is saved as a report rather than a (PDF) attachment. In order to get the metadata option to work, do I need to download it first and then upload from my desktop to get it recognized as a PDF?
  • Then you're likely not looking at a standalone PDF. What you want to do to get the PDF into your Zotero library is to download it on your computer and then drag it to Zotero. You can also use the "Store Copy of File" button under the green plus sign.
  • so yes to your question. That'll be easier with the new connector as per above.