standalone + firefox fail -- "only one instance of Z using the same database..."

I have for years been using Zotero standalone and Firefox with the add-on, simultaneously. I have become totally dependent on the Zotero add-ons ability to save a citation, and find and download the attached PDF. Fantastic!

I vastly prefer to use the standalone version to manage the library. I realize I could use Firefox for this purpose, but I much prefer it the way I've been doing it. And I've literally never had the slightest problem. I can -- could -- open either standalone or Firefox first, with no issues, ever. I could use Zotero, from the Firefox add-on menu, to save a website snapshot, attached PDF, whatever, and it would immediately appear in standalone. If standalone wasn't running, it would go into the Zotero database anyway.

I had to reinstall Firefox. The add-on and standalone no longer work together. I can use either, but if I try to open the other, I get a message box saying: "Your Zotero database is currently in use. Only one instance of Zotero using the same database may be opened simultaneously at this time. If [the already-started version, whichever it is] is open, please close it and restart [whichever one I'm trying to start]."

Whichever is running works fine; either accesses the database correctly.

I'm using the current non-beta versions of Firefox, Zotero standalone, and the FF add-on.

Thanks for the help! I sure hope this can be resolved :/