Style Request: Bioethics Journal

edited December 11, 2016
For the life of my I cannot figure out how to create my own style. I tried the visual editor but for anyone without a degree in coding it's a joke. I need the style of the journal Bioethics, an incredibly common and prestigious journal in the field. I tried to start with Chicago Manual of Style (full note) because it did not have in line citations and most other styles do, but I couldn't even figure out how to put a period in the author's name.
Here are the guidelines:
Footnotes should be consecutively numbered and collected at the end of each page. Do not include an alphabetical list of references. Referencing in footnotes should follow this style:
I put slashes (//) around the italicized portions
Books:
Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs. 1998. /Code of Medical Ethics: Current Opinions with Annotations./ Chicago, IL: American Medical Association: 3-7.
Edited Books:
V. Held, ed. 1995. /Justice and Care: Essential Readings in Feminist Ethics./ Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
Chapters/Articles in Edited Books:
V. Held. 1998. Feminist Transformations of Moral Theory. In /Ethics: the Big Questions./ J.P. Sterba, ed. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing: 331–346.
Journals:
F.A. Chervenak & L.B. McCullough. Perinatal Ethics: A Practical Method of Analysis of Obligations to Mother and Foetus. /Obstet Gynecol/ 1985; 66: 442–446.
NB: Journals must be referenced in the footnotes using their abbreviated title. Journal title abbreviations can be accessed at the NCBI site here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=journals
Just type in journal name and press ‘go’ to access the abbreviation.
Journal references normally require only the volume number and not the issue number. They should only contain the issue number if the journal volume does not have consecutive pagination.
Newspapers:
C. Dyer & S. Boseley. 1999. A Matter of Life and Death. /The Guardian/ 16 July: 3.
NB: In all book/journal article/internet reference/newspaper articles, all key words should be capitalised and prepositions, pronouns and definite/indefinite articles should be in lower case.
Internet References:
National Bioethics Advisory Commission (NBAC). 2001. /Ethical and Policy Issues in International Research: Clinical Trials in Developing Countries./ Bethesada, MD: NBAC. Available at:
http://www.georgetown.edu/research/nrcbl/nbac/clinical/Vol1.pdf [Accessed 12 Jan 2006].
• Provide a ‘date last accessed’ against each website address – see above for style
• They should be clearly laid out as shown above
• Be sure to include the following – Author/date of publication/last update (usually there is a date on the website)/title of piece/place of publication (either place of publication of hard copy or head office of publisher if online source only)/URL/date last accessed
For immediately repeating footnotes use:
Ibid. (Ibid: page number. - in the case of a direct quote)
e.g. 3 Ibid: 223.
For repeated footnotes not immediately following previous footnote use:
Author's surname, /op. cit./ note (give previous note number), pp. (give page numbers).
e.g. 3 Chervenak & McCullough, /op. cit./ note 1, p.444.
Up to 3 authors - all authors should be listed in the first instance. Over 3 authors – first author plus ‘et al.’
In any repeated reference: Up to 2 authors – both authors should be listed. Over 2 authors – first author plus ‘et al.’
When linking authors in footnotes, ampersands (&) should be used rather than ‘and’.
NB: Please do not use multiple footnotes in the text (i.e. 1,2,3). Use one footnote for multiple references, where required, for example:
J. Steiner & M.A. Earnest. The Language of Medication-Taking. /Ann Intern Med/ 2000; 132: 926-930; C. Cameron. Patient Compliance: Recognition of Factors Involved and Suggestions for Promoting Compliance with Therapeutic Regimens. /J Adv Nurs/ 1996; 24: 248; D. Lowry. Issues of Noncompliance in Mental Health. /J Adv Nurs/ 1998; 28: 280-287.
  • Whoops, sorry! 2 things. The comments do not allow me to italicize. Also, these are full footnotes. There is no in line citation or bibliography.

J.L. Campbell & O.K. Pedersen. The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success. Comparative Political Studies 2007; 40(3): 307–332. (the Journal is italicized)

I. Mares. 1998. Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers? In Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage, P. A. Hall & D. Soskice, eds. New York: Oxford University Press: 184–213. (the book title is italicized)

Online ISSN: 1467-8519

This is the link for instructions to authors, but it doesn't look correct. The copy and pasted instructions above are correct.
  • I just realized that the copy and pasted instructions in my original post also deleted all the italicization. I'm not sure how to supply the instructions, which are in PDF format, in these comments, which delete the relevant information I'm trying to convey.
  • You can either just verbally describe the italicizations, etc. or use HTML tags (http://www.w3schools.com/tags/)
  • Ok, thanks! I verbally described them in my second comment and edited my first post by putting slashes (//) around italicized portions. Is there any chance of a volunteer creating this style or do you think I should just do my references by hand?
  • @Jdelston
    I'll have a go at this, but I would appreciate if you could get me the required things for a style request. ISSNs and link to documentation and also fix those italizations. Hard to read like that.
  • @Rintze and @adamsmith
    Is this a numeric or note style?
    Here is an open-access paper. How do they manage to have in-text numbers and then the notes on the bottom of each page?
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/bioe.12162/epdf
  • (There are some chemistry journals that are numeric with citations at the bottom of the page -- no way to do that with CSL (or Word, for all I know) -- but that's not the concern here. These are straight regular footnotes, with op cit and all. I'd guess some of the philosophy styles would be good to start)
  • @Jdelston
    Check out the style on the repository https://www.zotero.org/styles
  • I *think* the citation style for Developing World Bioethics (hereafter DWB) is the same as the journal Bioethics. At the very least, the citations mentioned by a person who was looking for DWB style in another thread were the same as those mentioned on the Bioethics webpage. In said thread, the creator of the DWB format (who happens to be @damnation) advised that one click the following link, 'save as' the code, and then double click on what is saved. I just saved the code, went into Preferences on Zotero, hit Managing Styles, and then hit the + button, which allowed me to upload the saved code for DWB. Having added the DWB format in this way, I was able to format my work in a style that, to my eyes, looks like the Bioethics formatting. I am not the best with citations so perhaps my eyes are wrong...

In any event, here is the link that you need to click to get to the DWB code:

https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/raw/e9d8ab754953b2428fc56b28606765877b9ac95a/developing-world-bioethics.csl

And here's the relevant thread about DWB: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/325869#Comment_325869.

Hope this helps @Jdelston and anyone else who is interested/baffled by the citation formatting at Bioethics.