Zotero sync PDF file location change

Hey there,

I've switched from dropbox snycing (with linked files) to the proper syncing with the zotero servers. My new problem is that the file direction where the PDFs got stored locally on my harddrive is very odd (library/application support/zotero/profiles/ and than each file is even stored in a different folder.

Is there a way to store the files on a new direction all in the same folder? Or even more desirable organised by zotero collections?
  • Zotero 5.0 (which will be out soon) will move the Zotero data directory to ~/Zotero.

The current organization is all that's available now, but we're hoping to make the data directory a bit more human-friendly in the future. For now, you're best 1) interacting through Zotero (you can drag attachments directly out of Zotero to copy them, or you can right-click and choose Show File) and/or 2) creating a smart folder in macOS that shows all PDFs within the data directory, which provides the flat view you're looking for.
  • edited December 6, 2016
    Or even more desirable organised by zotero collections?
    Zotero items can appear in multiple collections, so there wouldn't be any way to show that same structure in Finder without duplicating files. (Well, technically there's a very low-level way (filesystem hard links, which make the same file appear to exist in multiple places), but that's not cross-platform and extremely uncommon in user-facing programs, so it's not something we'd do.)
  • Okey great, thanks for the explanation. I see why my idea with collection folders is very hard to execute and probably never will...

The hint with a finders smart folder is a good idea and should work for the moment.

When (approximately) will be the release of Zotero 5?