Overleaf integration - special characters

I am using overleaf to write a paper and have integrated it with my zotero bibliography, which is going great except for one problem. I am referencing people from around the world, so naturally some of them have special characters in their name (i.e. ü). However, these are not importing properly into overleaf. How can I make this work?
  • How are you using Overleaf with Zotero? Do the authors have the correct characters in Zotero itself?
  • I have synced my Zotero account with overleaf (When you are in a document, you click add bibliography, choose zotero, then put in your zotero login details). In Zotero the characters look correct. Then when I generate the bibliography the special character disappears. For example, "Bünemann" become "Bnemann".
  • In that case, it is probably an issue with how Overleaf is handling the information from Zotero and would have to be taken up with them.
  • No, it's more complicated than that. see comments starting here for details: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/263399/#Comment_263399

Standard bibtex/overleaf expect ISO-8859 encoding and escaped characters, the Zotero API exports utf-8. Currently the only solution is to force Overleaf to use biber/biblatex to process your citations (see https://twitter.com/chrshmmmr/status/785836223260753920 ). Hopefully, in the medium run, the Zotero API will allow charset specification. Overleaf has indicated that they'd then update their integration.
  • I just contacted Overleaf support and they promptly replied with a solution. All I had to do was add a couple of packages:

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
    \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

Now it works fine.
  • Thank you for your hint with the \usepackage commands, @jemac4. This also worked for me, however, I had to set additionally UTF-8 as standard in the Zotero export properties (properties > export > coding > UTF-8.
  • I stumble upon the same issue. I have followed your indications but the accentuated characters are not recognised.