Can I do simultaneous citations and footnotes?

I'm trying to find a way of using both citations and footnotes for the same reference, since I'm using many grey literature and legacy policy documents which can't easily be referenced in the normal way.

So, apart from intext citations, footnotes are necessary to explain the relevance and significance of the reference. Does anyone have any suggestions, please? Look forward to hearing. Many thanks.
  • You can use Zotero for in-text citations and manually insert footnotes in Word without issues, yes. I'm not entirely clear if that's your question? If not, maybe an example would help.
  • Adam. Thanks for getting back. While your response works OK - and I'd worked that out - it doesn't work if you need to move the citation in the text because the footnote doesn't move with it. You need to do that manually. I could do both in RefWorks. Is there no Zotero style in which both simultaneous citations and footnotes are possible.
  • edited December 2, 2016
    Sorry, I just don't understand what you're after then; I'll need that example. I thought you were citing different things in the footnote and the in-text reference, in which case I don't understand the "doesn't move with it".
  • Adam.

Thanks again. I think I've found a way to do it. If I need to move the text which includes the citation - for example, to another page - I now ensure that the footnote moves with the citation.

Provided that I ensure that, alongside the citation, I also move the footnote number in the text, this seems to work. But since Zotero and Word use two different systems, to ensure I don't lose the content of the footnote, I now embed this in the Zotero reference "Notes", so, if necessary, I can always copy this into a relocated footnote.

Using RefWorks, I simply inserted the citation twice - once as a citation and the second time as a footnote.