Feature suggestion: button to collapse ALL subcollections

This is hopefully a very easy addition to what is already a wonderful piece of software: I wish there was a button that you could hit to collapse all open collections in Zotero. I for one have a lot of collections - perhaps two dozen, and within them sometimes have 2-3 levels of further subcollections. And between all these, I have many items that appear in 3-4 subcollections, if not more. When I try to highlight (using CTRL-click) a popular item to see what collections it is in, a bunch of collections, subcollections, and sub-subcollections etc. open up. Now this makes the library very hard to browse, so I have to go through and manually collapse all these collections. It's not the most difficult thing in the world, but it becomes a pain when you're trying to organize your library and create a new bibliography for a project and make sure all the right articles are in it.

It would be great to have a button that just collapsed all the collections and subcollections at once. The little triangle button next to My Library just hides all my collections - that's not what I want. I just want to be able to see the list of main collections.

Let me give an example:

1) I start with this in the left pane:

My Library:
Anthropology
Geography
History
Sociology

2) Say I CTRL-click on an article, and it is in the four subcollections Evolutionary and Technology, now I have this:

My Library:
Anthropology
--->Sociolinguistic
--->Biophysical
-------->Evolutionary
-------->Malthus
Geography
History
--->Europe
-------->Technology
Sociology

3) Now I want to CTRL-click another article, and even more subcollections open up. Soon I have something like this:

My Library:
Anthropology
--->Sociolinguistic
--->Biophysical
-------->Evolutionary
-------->Malthus
Geography
--->Marxist
------>Structuralism
History
--->Europe
-------->Technology
Sociology
--->Development
-------->Modernity

4) If you imagine a real library with 2 dozen main collections (what I here label Anthropology, Geography, etc), and doing a lot of poking around/reorganizing, you can suddenly have 20 different collections you need to close manually to get back to the clean starting point that you want, which is this:

My Library:
Anthropology
Geography
History
Sociology

It seems like an unnecessary chore - does anyone else have this problem? Is there a simple fix or workaround?
  • edited November 30, 2016
    Press "-" (minus), and then right-arrow to reopen the root. ("+" does the opposite.)
  • and then right-arrow to reopen the root.
    still learning new things...
  • edited November 30, 2016
    I am not sure if @Dan Stillman answered the OP's question. The OP wants to collapse all sub-collections but leave the primary collections visible and listed. Won't Dan's shortcut collapse everything, including the primary collections?

@dchahim Have you considered using Tags to manage and browse your collection? There are pros and cons to each approach, and you may find your own sweet mix.
  • minus collapses everything, the right-arrow then expands it to just show the primary collections, so it does exactly what the OP was asking.
  • Ah, got it. Thanks.