Searchability of PDF comments in Zotero

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the searchability of PDF comments in Zotero:

Zotero is capable of reading the contents of PDF files and making them searchable. However, unfortunately it seems like Zotero is unable to read comments that I type in in my PDF programs (Foxit and Adobe Reader). As a workaround I got Zotfile which allows me to extract comments from comment boxes in PDFs into Zotero's note box. But I would still like to know if it is possible to make comments searchable in Zotero directly (i.e. those comments that Zotfile cannot extract and, if possible, without having to use the Zotfile workaround at all).

Is there an add-on for this or does anyone know of a workaround, e.g. formatting and saving PDF files in a certain way, so that all comments can be searched by Zotero once a PDF file is attached?

Thank you!
  • I'm not aware of a way to make that happen currently, no. The plugins Zotero uses to read and index pdf text don't include comments by default.
    It may be possible to change their settings, in which case this would be a reasonably easy tweak (though also not one that gets a ton of requests, so more likely to happen as a contribution than as a feature implemented by devs), but if not it requires a different indexing tool and while that, too, is generally possible, I think that's still a good bit out.
  • If I understand this correctly, all you need do while in Zotero is call up the PDF file that is of interest to you, and whose data you have entered into Zotero, treat the file as if you were reading it from within your PDF reader, and make the comments or amendments you want to make to the file, and then save the file and its comments.
  • but Zotero's search functions (i.e. search everywhere or for attachment content) won't include those comments -- which I understand the question to be about.
  • There is a possible option. Install the ZotFile plugin. So, there will be an extra option when right-click on the PDF file to extract annotations (Manage attachment -> Extract annotation). Then, the comments will be extracted to a note with a link of each note to their location in the original PDF. It is searchabe now.
    good luck.
    (whenever you add more comments you need to extract new note)
  • (that's mentioned in the original comment, which is why we didn't mention it)
  • I believe Zotero is exploring incorporating auto-extraction of annotations ala Zotfile to address this feature.
  • @Babakn
    I'm asking you because I can't find any other discussions about that (i'm a new user).

I extracted my annotations with zotfile, it went well but the link from my note does not open.

It should open the pdf attach to my annotations if i'm right.
    Do I have to set up a new url ?

Help would be much appreciate !