Unable to print reports

Hi,
I am not able to print reports from notes as I used. I printed right after generating them (right click mouse) no need to save in firefox. Is that feature no longer available or do I need to look into my computer or printer as the problem? Not sure what to do!

I do appreciate any input on this.

• Following on the previous post. I did try to print with my laptop and it worked. I must have changed involuntarily some of the settings of my imac or printer, I don't know how to fix it though. Can anyone help me on that? Thank you!!!!
  • How exactly are you printing them on your laptop and what is not working on your iMac (where is it failing)?
  • I do the same thing in both. I generate the report by clicking on the right hand side of the mouse, a pop up comes up in both cases. Then I go to file and click print. In the laptop it does print it, in the iMac nothing happens. I used to be able to print reports in my iMac before. I work on my iMac so not being able to print reports is a problem for me.

Thank you bwiernik for your interest
  • Can you print from other programs on your iMac? Does the print dialog open when you try to print the report from Firefox? Do you get any sort of error message?
  • I do not get any error message. I can print from Firefox but I need to save it first. Also when I print using firefox after saving it.
  • Do you get the print dialog box? If so, just as a test, can you "print" to a pdf file?
  • I'm not following your second sentence there. What happens when you print from Firefox after saving the report? Also, can you save a different web page in Firefox (other than a Zotero report)?
  • edited November 20, 2016
    I just tested this and find a similar problem. I apologize. I should have tested before I provided advice from my memory.

1) I generated a report for a journal article.
    2) The report appeared in a new window.
    3) I clicked in the window to activate it and attempted to right click to get to a print command. No right click menu.
    4) From the Zotero>File menu> Print : selecting the Print command does nothing, no print dialog box; no error.
    5) I can save the file (the default is as html) and then open the new file (in FF) and I can print that.

Clearly that isn't what is intended. I don't know when I last printed a report but I am almost sure that printing reports was working a few weeks ago.

Using: Zotero Beta 5.0r79 Standalone; MacOS Sierra 10.12.1 ;
    Printer [driver ver] HP Color LaserJet CP2025dn (909459) [10.4]
    Doubt if this matters but FF ver 50.0

edit: Report ID 808778290

Debug: D1093517538.

2nd edit
    I should add that with Sierra I find that the dialog/action boxes often open deeply behind other open windows. I minimized all open windows to confirm that there was no print dialog box.
  • Hi, thank you bwiernik and DWL-SDCA,

To Bwiernik, I can save a PDF and print from firefox but it doubles my work and the font and layout are different. Before in this computer, I still in my laptop, I was able to print directly from the report following the steps that DWL_SDCA put together:

1) I generated a report for a journal article.
    2) The report appeared in a new window.
    3) I clicked in the window to activate it and attempted to right click to get to a print command. NO RIGHT CLICK MENU and the orange circle on the top left corner (between the red and the green) is not activated.
    4) From the Zotero>File menu> Print : selecting the Print command does nothing, no print dialog box; no error. NOTHING.

DWL-SDCA, I am sorry but I cannot follow the rest of your message (I am not that tech ...). Not sure if I am supposed to do something with that and if so, what. Also, I double checked in case there are dialog boxes behind but there aren´t. I also have Sierra installed...

• It looks like there is a bug in Zotero that needs to be fixed. The rest of DWL-SDCA's message is technical debugging information to help the Zotero developers figure out where the bug is to fix it.
  • So, if I understand correctly, the Zotero developers will fix the problem?

Thank you bwiernik
  • generally yes, though I wouldn't rely on it happening super fast, given that it's fairly limited in impact. Obviously there are any number of workarounds that do allow you to print in the meantime.
  • Understood! Thanks adamsmith
  • I think there might be some confusion here.

1) As far as I know, printing from reports in Zotero Standalone has never worked. That should be fixed eventually, but it's not a new issue. @aizealoli and @DWL-SDCA, since you're referring to reports opening in a new window, I assume you're trying to do this in Standalone.

2) There seems to be a new issue in Firefox 50 that's resulting in incomplete styling in reports. (@aizealoli, I'm guessing this is what you're referring to about the font and the layout being different.) But printing from reports in Firefox should work as it always has. We'll fix the styling issue in an upcoming release.
  • Actually, the styling issue in Firefox 50 seems to be fixed already in the Zotero 5.0 beta.
  • I am having this same problem: unable to print reports, using Standalone on a MacBook running MacOS Sierra.
  • edited February 7, 2017
    @mwmaguire : read dstillman's post above.
  • I am facing the same issue in Zotero Standalone for Windows 10—no pop-up printing dialog. But the function worked fine about two months ago, and I didn't do any adjustment to the Zotero since then :(
  • Me, too. On Windows 7. When I click the print menu, nothing happens.
  • @hungching1982 and @compunk : again, see dstillman's comment above. If you need to print a report, the workaround is to save it as a HTML file (File -> Save or Ctrl/Cmd+S), then open it in your browser and print it.
  • OK. I understood. Thanks.
  • Printing of reports is fixed in the latest 5.0 beta, build 170.