Installation of Extensions for Safari or chrome

I am having difficulty installing the extensions for either Safari or Chrome. With Safari I have downloaded the extension but when I try to install it I get a message do I trust the source - answer yes - then nothing happens.
With Chrome when I try to download the extension I get sent off to another page which tells me I need Chrome (when I already have it). Where is the actual link to download Chrome as it doesn't seem to be there.
I would probably prefer to get Safari working though....
  • Let's try with Chrome first -- are you actually browsing in Chrome when that happens? You should. Then you'll easily be able to install just by clicking the respective button on that page (which in in the google play store, the only place from which one can install Chrome extensions).
  • Thanks. I have updated chrome and I think I have now managed to add the extension. Although I can't actually see the icon in Chrome - which it said I would...
  • is the extension listed and enabled in More Tools --> Extensions in Chrome? (or chrome://extensions/ -- same thing)
  • Hi Yes, I have closed/ restarted etc and it seems to be working in Chrome. Any ideas about Safari?
  • Same questions -- is the Zotero connector listed in the "Extension" tab in the preferences?
  • No it isn't. Can't seem to install it.
  • So you're using Safari, you're here: https://www.zotero.org/download/
    click on the Safari icon, then click "Trust" in the pop-up message and nothing happens?
    Which Safari version?
  • Exactly right. The Safari version is 9.1.2
  • while you should probably update to 9.1.3 or (depending on your OS) a 10.x version, that shouldn't matter here.
    I'm not a Mac person, so someone else would need to chime in. You are able to install other extensions in Safari?
  • Yes I have the Amazon wishlist extension installed ok.
  • I think it may be something to do with Safari security although I can't see a way round it as I can't see a way to add Zotero to the list of plug ins if Safari is not doing it itself. I think I'll try running it in unsafe mode to see if I can add it.
  • Clicking on the Safari icon on https://www.zotero.org/download/ should download the extension to Downloads. You will need to open `Zotero_Connector-4.0.28-1.safariextz` in your Downloads directory, which should launch the extensions pane in Safari and ask you whether you want to install the extension with "Cancel" and "Trust" options. Clicking "Trust" might prompt you to enter your password and the extension should appear in the pane as installed.

You might not be able to install the extension if you don't have the administrator rights on your OSX account or if you have some kind of security software interfering.
  • Thanks both. I can get as far as the "trusted" page but then nothing.

I think I might phone apple support. I don't think Zotero is one of the extensions on the official Apple extensions page but it should add ok as it has the correct safari extension filename. Can't see anything else I can do at my end. At least I have Chrome working meantime.
  • Here is the solution to installing ANY extension for Safari:

Download and unpack the extension installation file (.safariextz). For instance, you can get Zotero's installation file from the download site, https://download.zotero.org/connector/safari/Zotero_Connector-5.0.3.safariextz

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Keyboard (OS X 10.11.4+) or System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Full Keyboard Access (OS X 10.11.1 to 10.11.3).
    At the bottom of that dialog box, change the Full Keyboard Access option from Text boxes and lists only to All controls.

Dismiss the System Preferences window.

Return to installing the extension. Double-click the Safari Extension file, and when the "Are you sure you want to install..." dialog box appears, DO NOT click the Trust button. Instead, use the Tab key to select the Trust button and then press the space bar to confirm.