[5.0] RSS Feed read status not syncing

I'm on the latest (r72) 5.0 beta. RSS feeds are working great and sync across my computers, but if I mark a feed as read on my desktop, it still shows up as unread on my laptop.
  • The read status of feeds and feed items is not synced. This is due to the volume of items that some RSS feeds naturally generate, which would be a huge amount of data to sync.
  • It would be great to have the read status of RSS feeds synchronized across devices. The feeds that I have subscribed to generate little traffic (about ten new items per day each). Maybe there's a solution that works for these kinds of feeds, but not necessarily for high-traffic feeds?
  • Note that some publishers, such as Elsevier / ScienceDirect, when communicating with an RSS reader intentionally are set up to avoid the reader's read status. I've been exchanging emails with Elsevier for months, they know about the issue, they have no plans to change their rss syndication server's behavior. There was another engineering journal publisher (I'm not positive of the name so I'll not defame anyone) that had the same problem.

I agree that it would be a nice thing for a Zotero sync to include read status. I hadn't noticed that this was missing.

InderScience had the same issue but they agreed to fix it and they did. The InderScience tech people were glad to chat about this. They said that the company was evaluating if they should continue the RSS feature because it was little used. I told them about the Zotero 5.0 feature and how well it works. They said that they would not make a decision until later so that they could then determine if RSS use would improve.