pdftotext and pdfinfo not installing (crouton)

edited April 2, 2017
Hey all. I am running zotero in firefox in on a cruoton installation on a Chromebook. Everything works for the most part but I'm getting an error message when I try to dowload the pdftotext. from the search page in zotero preferences.

If I click check for installer I see

Available downloads for Linux armv7l from zotero.org:

- pdftotext version 3.04
- pdfinfo version 3.04

Zotero can automatically install these applications into the Zotero data directory

but then when I press install

An error occurred while attempting to download the Xpdf utilities from zotero.org. Please try again later, or view the documentation for manual installation instructions.

I see this conversation has some similarities to my problem https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/53532/cannot-download-pdfinfo-or-pdftotext
but that solution had to do with being blocked by a firewall at work and I am having this problem on my home computer. Presumably I can somehow follow the manual installation instructions but that seems like a pretty big undertaking and I'd rather use the installer if there is some solution that I am missing.

Any thoughts?

Debug ID: D309851290
  • Your chromebook is on the ARM platform, which is very non-standard for personal computers. Zotero.org does not have pdftotext/pdfinfo for ARM based OSes.

I don't have a machine to test on myself, but these instructions should work if you are running a linux distro which has apt-get for package manager.
  • Thanks! Took me over a year to actually try this but it almost seems to work. I am now seeing the following under PDF-indexing

pdftotext version 0.24.5 is installed
    pdfinfo-Linux-armv7l is NOT installed

So something is a little off here. Beyond the pdfinfo not having installed I notice, one, that the pdftotext version is earlier than the one in the instructions that adomasven linked. Secondly the long filename for pdfinfo seems strange here.

I tried this twice resetting the OS between times with the exact same result. I copy pasted from the link so I don't think there are typographical errors in the links that I set up.

Anyone have any advice?
  • That said, I do seem to be able to import PDF metadata for at least one document.