APA style: authors with same surname

I've noticed a minor problem in the CSL for APA 6th edition, when you have two authors where both the surname and the first initial are the same, their full names should be spelled out in both the citation and the bibliography. However Zotero produces this:

(James Smith, 2014)
(John Smith, 2014)
--------------------
Smith, J. (2014). Identical citations. Berlin: Sternberg.
Smith, J. (2014). The referencing conundrum. Berlin: Sternberg.

So you can't see which item in the bibliography the citation points to.

As I understand APA, the bibliography should look like this:

Smith, J. [James]. (2014). Identical citations. Berlin: Sternberg.
Smith, J. [John]. (2014). The referencing conundrum. Berlin: Sternberg.
  • we just fixed this to be full first names in the bibliography, too, for Zotero 4.0.29.16 (Firefox only as of now). I'm not sure we'll implement the weird square bracket rule, though.
  • Strange.

I'm using Zotero for Firefox 4.0.29.16, and I just reinstalled APA 6th edition, and I still get the same result, i.e. only initials instead of full first names in the bibliography.
  • Try changing the style in your document to something else, then changing back to APA 6.
  • That doesn't change anything.
  • @Roalderik: I've confirmed that you get just initials in the bib under Zotero for Firefox 4.0.29.16.

Z4FF 4.0.29.16 uses citation processor version 1.1.138. The fix for this went in at version 1.1.139, so we apparently missed the mark for this release.

If you install one of the Propachi plugins, the style will work correctly. You should remove the plugin at the next Zotero release.
  • my apologies -- I had the Propachi running (so this worked for me) and didn't check the citeproc versions, only the timing of the release.
  • Thank for the help, it works fine now :-)