Impossible to import of backed up Zotero lib in FireFox or Zotero Standalone

Dear all,

First off, thanks a mil for having me here and for answering my question(s). This might be a duplicate, but I am not quite sure, since I was unable to find a fitting discussion.

Be that as it may. Here is my issue. I usually back up my Zoteri library, which has grown over the past 5 years and which I still rely on for my daily work. I recently had to re-install Firefox and lost the library accordingly. Now, I cannot re-import the library as I usually do. This is the first time that this has happened. My libray is quite large (approx. 6.2 GB with exported files and .rdf file (that's all I have).

I ran FireFox for hours to complete the import, but I was considering whether it was possible to split the files. Does anybody know how to import large files? I also tried Zotero standalone with the same result. Both applications just crash.

Thanks a lot in advance for your comments. Your help is much appreciated.

• Note that RDF is _not_ the recommended way to back up your Zotero library:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#backing_up_your_zotero_library
    If you have a back-up of your harddisk that includes the Zotero data folder from before the re-install (or if it was a refresh, in which case: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/restore_after_firefox_reset applies) that would make things a lot easier.

Splitting up RDFs isn't trivial, but I can take a look to see if I can get you some instructions if that's really the only thing you have (but do check that's the case).

By "crash" you mean that the software shuts down, yes? And you've tried this with all other applications shut down (it's likely crashing because of memory issues).
  • Dear adamsmith,

Thanks a lot for clarifying how to back up Zotero properly. I must admit that I was unaware of the recommended method. Unfortunately, the .rdf-file is the only thing I was able to rescue after the reinstalling Firefox. I do not have a proper backup of my harddisk.

Well, "crashing" might not have been the correct description, since I did not get a crash report. "Freezing" might be a appropriate description. So I guess it is a memory issue, I'll check on another machine.

If there is another method beside splitting the .rdf, please let me know.

Thanks a mil for your support regarding this matter.
  • freezing actually isn't typically permanent. I'd close everything else on your computer and try importing into Standalone over night.
  • Dear adamsmith,

following up on your post, I would like to inform you that I managed to import the entries from my backup. As predicted, only the entries were imported, not the underlying folder structure.
    I am currently recreating the structure (and to be honest, I think it is a good idea to do so). However, two questions arise from this procedure.
    1) For the import I switched to a linux operating system (now being my primary os). Are there special requirements for backing up Zotero under linux (or is it the same as you pointed out above?).
    2) Is it possible to import a backup from a linux os back to a WIN-os (if so, what do I have to be careful about?)

Thanks a mil in advance.
  • That's easy
    1) no, it's exactly the same and
    2) yes, back-ups will work across OSs -- and they'll just work, there's nothing to worry about.
  • @adamsmith

Thanks a mil for your support regarding the export/import matter. I just wanted to get back in touch saying thanks. I am delighted to report that everything worked like a charm. I will automate the process you pointed out on my new computer.

Thanks a mil for answering my question(s)