Question about Zotero/Scrivener integration; specifically issue within-line citation and bibliograpy

Hello,
I am using the RTF scan option to integrate Zotero and Scrivener. Everything is straightforward until I try to write an in-line citation such as "Rappaport et al. (2015) said blah blah". In that case, I was under the impression that I was to suppress the author like so: "Rappaport et al. {|-Rappaport, et al., (2015) | | |zu:62433:5NP5RTJD}". Surprisingly, once I export it as an ODT file and run it through the Zotero scan, it comes back as "Rappaport et al. Rappaport, et al., 2015 said blah blah blah", and the author doesn't successfully end up getting suppressed.

The second part of my question is: once I scan it through zotero and open it in Word, how can I get the linked bibliography associated with the scanned document?

Thanks very much,
Danielle
  • Note first, that ODF scan (which you're using if you're using that syntax) requires LibreOffice. It won't work if you open the document in Word (though you can later use the document in Word).

Then, see the "Setting Citation Style" section in the documentation:
    http://zotero-odf-scan.github.io/zotero-odf-scan/
    The citations will not follow any reasonable formatting rules before you actually set a citation style.
  • Adam,

Thanks for your quick reply. I've downloaded libreoffice and the libreoffice/zotero plugin but can't find the zotero toolbar in libreoffice to insert my bibliography. Sorry for the novice question but I've searched and searched to no avail...
  • Have you re-installed LibreOffice integration from the Cite tab of the Zotero preferences?

If so, have you tried manual install? If that doesn't work, which OS, which LibreOffice version?
  • I've tried re-installing the LibreOffice integration from the cite tab but it says the installation failed, and then what I tried to manually install it, LibreOffice freezes. Not sure what's going on...

I just installed the updated Zotero version 4.0.29.15.

When I go into the Add-Ons Manager it says the Zotero LIbreOffice Integration 3.5.12 is installed; yet when I go to the cite tab it says the LibreOffice/OpenOffice add-in is not currently installed. When I click that button is when I get problems.

Now when I go into LibreOffice the zotero toolbar is there but non-responsive, which makes me think there was a botched installation along the way.

Please advise--this is driving me crazy... Thanks much.
  • Sorry, forgot to say that I'm working on a mac and using standalone version of zotero.
  • Adam, I followed the instructions and installed that particular version of the java development kit. Then, went to the extension manager and clicked "enable" on the zotero/libreoffice integration extension, and got a "could not create java implementation loader" error. I'm about to throw in the bag. Not sure what to do...
  • which Mac OS exactly?
  • OK, the last idea I have is to install the legacy 32-bit JRE: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US
    and then make sure you have that JRE selected in the Preferences/Advanced in LibreOffice
  • I was finally able to get the libre/zotero integration to work with my PC version of zotero, but now I can't get the zotero odf scan feature to work with my mac version of zotero. The scan feature won't allow me to click the button to locate the scrivener output file to scan. So confused. And the PC zotero only seems to have rtf scan option, not odf. Any thoughts?
  • That worked! Thanks for your help--much appreciated.