The Open University Harvard - Ordering of multiple references from one author in one year

I'm using The Open University Harvard style and have hit a problem.

I have two references from the same author and same year.

I expect that the first inline reference would be (2010a) and the second (2010b). Yet Zotero reverses these and I can see that this is because the title of each reference is how they are ordered in the bibliography. Not because of their order of use in the document.

Is there any way of changing this? According to the OU library the references should be ordered as they appear in the essay.

• so they should be 2010b before 2010a in the bibliography? Or they should appear in the bibliography in the order they're cited?
    The former I don't think can be done. The latter is possible, if a bit odd as a sort mechanism.
  • Thanks for getting back. They should appear in the order they're cited.

Just so I'm not causing further confusion, let's say I have two references from the same author in the same year but they happen to have different titles:

Smith 2010 'Animals and Zoos'
    Smith 2010 'Zoos and animals'

Currently, regardless of the order I cite, 'Animals and Zoos' will always be 2010a and 'Zoos and animals' will always be 2010b.

So when citing 'Zoos and animals' first, this will create inline reference of 2010b.

I've been told that the first cite must be 2010a, then b, etc.
  • And assuming Zoos is cited first, it'd be

Smith 2010a 'Zoos and animals'
    Smith 2010b 'Animals and Zoos'

in the bibliography?
  • Yeah, exactly!
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting