Missing folder in group library - restoring data from backup

Hello,

I share a group library with a team of a few others. One of the folders on our shared library disappeared, although the references remain (unfiled).

The change is recent as when each of us opens zotero now, we initially can view the folder until the library auto-syncs after a few seconds. We hadn't been backing up the library previously (we will from now on), but I was able to make a copy of the library from the computer of one person who hadn't opened (auto-synced) zotero in a few days.

I'd now like to restore zotero on all of our computers from this backup, with the hope that the missing folder will reappear.

I followed the instructions at this link (https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#restoring_your_zotero_library_from_a_backup1) on my own computer - "Restoring from the last automatic backup" - and was able to restore the old library on my desktop version of zotero using this saved backup (the missing folder is back). I still have sync turned off so that this restore won't be overwritten by a sync.

How do I transfer this backup to the online server without it being overwritten? Can I follow the "Restore to/from Server instructions" found here?: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sync_reset_options. We all use Zotero standalone rather than firefox. Is it possible to turn off sync in standalone before a sync occurs? It seems this is recommended in Firefox at the above link (..."access the zotero preferences without opening the zotero pane...").

Once transferred, will this auto-sync to the other libraries on the team, or should we all follow the instructions under "Restoring from the last automatic backup" and manually restore from the backup?

Thank you!
Elizabeth
  • There's no easy way, but what I'd do is to just copy all the files to a new, separate collection befotre syncing.

I _think_ they'll actually be restored with both collections on sync, but as a minimum, you do have the collection under a different name (and can then rename it).

If possible, I'd just disable your internet collection before starting Standalone. That's the only way I can think of to prevent syncing in Standalone.
  • Thank you! I was able to create a new group library in Zotero but how do I actually go about copying the files from the backup file to this new collection?
  • I did mean new _collection_, not new group.
    So the workflow woudl be
    1. Restore from backup (you did this already)
    2. Copy the lost items to a new collection
    3. Sync so that all data updates -- the new/old collection will still be there, though you may get sync conflicts.
  • Got it, thanks! I can create a new collection but what I'd like to do is recover the old library it such that the collection/folder that disappeared before returns. The references themselves aren't missing but the folder isn't there to store them anymore. If I copy everything to a new collection and then sync will it recover this? We'd like to avoid refiling all of the entries if possible.
  • Just to be clear, we're starting from here, right?
    and was able to restore the old library on my desktop version of zotero using this saved backup (the missing folder is back)
    if that's the case, just make sure you keep a copy of the back-up from which you restored and then try what I describe. It will likely work, and if it doesn't you can always go back again.
  • Thanks very much! Your steps worked. I wound up renaming the old folder in the backup instead of copying to a new collection, and upon syncing it was recognized as a new folder entirely and reappeared in the library.

Thanks again!