bookmarklet + IOS + Safari

I'm updating our Zotero library guide and I wonder what the status of the mobile bookmarklet might be? Trying it in iOS 10 with Safari, I can get the bookmarklet to work but then get the "Looking for translators... " message then everything just hangs. I know the bookmarklet was somewhat experimental... should I just tell our students that it works better for Android devices? thank you all!
  • Does the problem happen with all sites, and does the site where the problem occurs work on a computer?
  • Hi - Yes I should have mentioned -- I tried Ebsco, JSTOR (known issues there) our local library catalog, and WorldCat. Those all work fine with desktop It could just be my device. Wanted to make sure it wasn't a known issue before more testing. thank you!
  • There are multiple reports of this failing on iOS/Safari. Does anyone have this working?
  • edited October 25, 2016
    I have success with the bookmarklet in my iPad iOS 10 for many sites. Most of the sites that fail are related to publishers feeding a special for-tablet web page. Some publishers will obey the "request desktop site" control. For those that provide the desktop webpages the bookmarklet usually works. However, several publishers will ignore the desktop request. If it would be useful I can make note of the publishers that fail to work with the bookmarklet. I don't recall getting a hang upon seeing the "looking for translators" message. When I cannot get a successful bookmarklet action, I get the known translator problem message and link.

Edit: My problems with the bookmarklet are:

I have no control over whether or not I download pdf files and snapshots

Sometimes (this seems to be for tablet pages where the bookmarklet works) an abstract of issn isn't included but when the same item is brought in from a desktop machine, the missing metadata is included.

I have an app that allows me to view page source. The missing metadata fields seem to be omitted from these tablet-specific pages.