Standalone + Firefox + Profiles

I mainly use Standalone across a few machines with different browsers: Chrome (employer supported) and Firefox (home machines). I also prefer to run Standalone with a few different profiles, mainly a work-related and a personal one.

With the Chrome connector this works fine - I can save references from the browser to the library of which ever profile Standalone is currently running with. In Firefox, however, I find that I have to set up my standalone installation and the Firefox plugin with the same file location, otherwise saving references in Firefox, even with Standalone running, stores them in the library defined in by the Firefox profile settings, not those of the Standalone profile. With a single profile this isn't a problem - just point both Standalone and the Firefox plugin at the same location. With multiple Standalone profiles I don't see how I can get this to work conveniently without corresponding multiple profiles in Firefox.

My understanding is that while the Chrome connector is genuinely that - a connector to Standalone, the Firefox "connector" is in fact the full in-browser add-in and there is no option other than to set Standalone and the in-bowser add-in up with the same profile directory. Is this correct or have I made a mistake with my installation somewhere?

I get the feeling from the various discussions about the future of Zotero for Firefox that this may cease to be an issue in the relatively near future, but if there is a fix or work-around anyone can suggest for now it would be greatly appreciated.
  • You understand everything correctly, including Zotero's future trajectory which will indeed, likely within the next 12 months, make this a moot point, and I'm not aware of any workaround that would let you use Zotero in Firefox with several Zotero Standalone Profiles with any reasonable level of ease (i.e. without either separate Firefox profiles or moving around the data directory in Firefox).
  • Thanks for the speedy clarification Adam. I look forward to Zotero's new incarnation!