Shortcut for assign tag or folder with "Save to Zotero" (⇧ Shift + ⌘ Cmd + s)

I love the ease with which I can create new items with embedded metadata while browsing the web using the "Save to Zotero" (⇧ Shift + ⌘ Cmd + s) shortcut or the browser menu button.

BUT, I find the default storing of the item to be less efficient than it could be. The default for this feature is to save the item either in my main library or else in the current folder. Is there a way I could get Zotero to ask me at the time of creation which folder or group library to save it to? Alternately, is there a shortcut key I could use to select the newly created item immediately so I could add tags or drag it to the correct folder? Instead, I find I often automatically insert items into the wrong folder (if it was the current selected folder) or into no folder at all and have to hunt them down and file them accordingly.

Am I missing a setting that I should change? Thank you for a wonderful tool, looking forward to version 5.0
  • We'll likely have better ways to do this in the future, but for now you can use the special Unfiled Items collection to see items that are only in My Library, or you could create a saved search for items with a Date Added in the last x days and check what collections they're in. (You can also add the Date Added column and sort by that in My Library.)
  • Realized I never said thanks for this. Thank you!
  • I would like to second David A Michelsons wish for an easy way to control wich folder an item is attached to.
    When switching from Z4 to Z5 this somehow long-time-wish becomes more pressing.
    While my workflow with Z4 so far was to 1. click on the "Z". 2. select in the Zotero that appeared in the lower part of the browser the folder I want to save to. 3. click the save to zotero button.
    With Z5 this workflows complicates since I have to switch between two programs. Yes there are shortcuts to switch programs on OS level etc. but it is just one more obstacle to get things done right. So it would be realy great to have an option to select within the browser/connector where the item should go to.
    While whishing this and that I always know and apreciate the great work Zotero developers do. Thank you for all the effort to keep zotero alive although FF drops its Add-on Framework!