Zotero will not open

I keep getting a notice that says "there was an error starting Zotero." When I look in my applications folder, it isn't there. When I try to re-download it, I get an alert saying that a security and stability update is available, but I can't click on it, because the "there was an error starting Zotero" alert is in front of it (when I try to close this, both windows close). Help!
  • I'm not sure exactly what you're trying, but you should close Zotero completely (restart your computer if need be), and then reinstall from the download page.
  • The same thing is happening to me. I've tried completely shutting down and re-starting my computer 5 times now. I have also downloaded the latest version of zotero twice. I don't know what to do. I absolutely need my zotero library.
  • are you getting the same message about a security and stability update?
    If not, you're note seeing the same error. In that case, please start a new thread and see here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#reporting_startup_errors

(also, I'd advise against performing any troubleshooting step more than once. it's a waste of your time and worst case it can make troubleshooting harder)
  • Yes, I am getting the same message about a security and stability update. I am not able to click on "Restart Zotero" - I am only able to click the "Ok" button on the pop-up that appears in front of the Software update box. The fourth time I downloaded the Zotero standalone, the file name was changed to "Unconfirmed 479124.crdownload" (the previous times, it was a file called "Zotero-4.0.29.14.dmg"). When I open the "Unconfirmed 479124.crdownload" I have to choose the application to use to open it. When I choose Zotero, it pulls up my Zotero library and the security/stability update. But, I am able to close the security/stablility update by clicking "restart later" and I can use my zotero library. I can even add papers/notes, and if I repeat the strange way to open the "Unconfirmed 479124.crdownload", Zotero opens and it has the new papers/comments I added. I don't want to have to do this every time. How can I fix this?
  • .crdownload is just a partially downloaded file in Chrome — nothing to do with Zotero. You just have to let the Zotero download finish like any other program or file. Once it turns into the .dmg, you can open it and replace the existing Zotero in Applications with the new one from the disk image.

Forget about the auto-updater within Zotero — that should normally work, but since you're having trouble, the solution here is just to download Zotero from the download page and install it, replacing the current version.
  • I've tried this. If I let the download finish, then I can't open Zotero. I can only open Zotero via the partially downloaded file.
  • No, you're misunderstanding. You don't open anything in Zotero. You're downloading a new copy of Zotero, which comes in a disk image (.dmg). After it finishes downloading, you open the .dmg and drag the Zotero program in there into Applications, replacing your existing Zotero.
  • And once you do this properly, if you do a Get Info (Cmd-I) on the Zotero in Applications, it will say "Version: Zotero 4.0.29.15". Presumably right now it says an earlier version.
  • I know I don't do anything in Zotero. When I download the new copy, it replaces the existing Zotero in my Applications folder. But, when I do this, I still cannot open Zotero (I get the security/stability message). The only way I can open Zotero is the way I described above (I know this is not correct, but it is the only way I can get Zotero to work). As I said before, I downloaded the correct verison of Zotero multiple times, replacing the existing Zotero each time. Even after allowing the download to complete and then trying to open Zotero (after re-starting my computer), I cannot open it.
  • What do you see for "Version:" when you do a Get Info on Zotero in Applications?

What exact steps are you taking to open Zotero, and what is the full exact message?
  • It might help to take a screenshot, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox), and provide a link here. You can also email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • It says that it is version 4.0.29.14.

Exact steps:
    1. Either open zotero in finder (using command and space bar; type in zotero in the finder window) OR open my applications folder and double click on Zotero.
    2. Once I open Zotero, two error messages pop up at the same time. The larger one is the "Software Update" message - it states "A security and stability update for Zotero has been downloaded and is ready to be installed" and at the bottom of the message are two buttons: The left button is "Restart later" and the right button is "Restart Zotero". I cannot click either button b/c there is an "Alert" pop up that states: "There was an error starting Zotero". I can't even click the "OK" button on the alert...it won't let me. So, I have to force quit zotero.

I sent an e-mail.

Thank you so much for your help. I am not trying to sound frustrated...I am very grateful for all of your support.
  • OK, can you try downloading from the download page again now? I'm not sure why you were getting that error, but the download page was still serving one version behind (4.0.29.14). Try with the latest (4.0.29.15).

Also, what macOS version is this?
  • OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911)

I downloaded from the download page again. Now Zotero will open, but now only one message pops up: "Software Update" - it states "A security and stability update for Zotero has been downloaded and is ready to be installed" and at the bottom of the message are two buttons: The left button is "Restart later" and the right button is "Restart Zotero". I tried clicking "Restart Zotero", and it immediately restarts Zotero, but that same message pops up. The "Alert" pop up has gone away and I no longer have to force quit zotero.
  • edited October 7, 2016
    And it still offers you 4.0.29.14 in the update dialog?
  • No, it downloaded the newest version (4.0.29.15). I just am getting one error message instead of two. I can access Zotero and it allows me to use it, but that software update message still appears each time I open zotero.
  • No, I mean what's the version it's offering you in the update dialog.
  • Sorry...it is saying I need to update for 4.0.29.14
  • OK, try this: go to Finder, press Cmd-Shift-G, paste ~/Library/Caches/Zotero/updates/Applications into the path field, and then press Enter. It should take you to a folder with a "Zotero" subfolder. Control-click on that folder and select 'Compress "Zotero"', and it should produce a Zotero.zip file. If that's less than 10MB or so, email that to support@zotero.org. (Otherwise, you could send just the active-update.xml and updates.xml files within if they exist.)

Then delete that Zotero folder. I'm guessing that will clear this up, and the ZIP file might help us figure out why this happened to you.
  • You completely fixed it! Thank you a million times! I was so worried!
  • OK, sorry about that — we'll try to figure out what happened here. Glad it's working for you now.
  • Just in case it's helpful to know, I'm experiencing the exact same issue.

(Starting up Zotero produces "there was an error starting Zotero" and also asks me to restart Zotero to finish installing update 4.0.29.14. I have tried restarting Zotero several times but the dialogue boxes comes up each time.)

I have tried restarting the computer and resinstalled Zotero yesterday; am about to reinstall again to see if I can successfully download 4.0.29.15 this time.
  • I am having the same problem using OS X 10.11.6 (15G1004). Deleting the zotero folder at ~/Library/Caches/Zotero/updates/Applications works temporarily but has to be re-done each time the problem occurs. It is a recent problem.4.0.29.14.
  • edited October 18, 2016
    Update to 4.0.29.15 (likely by downloading&re-installing).
  • I will try that - thanks - and get back to you if there are further problems.
  • edited October 26, 2016
    Following up on my post from two-ish weeks ago: I've updated to 4.0.29.15 and still getting this issue when I restart the computer. I can fix it by reinstalling Zotero (I can't find any Zotero files in the ~Library/Caches), but then when I restart I have to fix it again.

ETA: Actually, I've fixed it before by redownloading Zotero, but it's not working this time. Hmm.
  • @ChristinaLV: Are you sure you're looking in ~/Library/Caches (that is, Library within your home directory, which you can access by holding Option and clicking the Go menu in Finder, or by entering ~/Library/Caches when you press Cmd-Shift-G in Finder)?
  • edited October 27, 2016
    @"Dan Stillman" That worked! Thanks a lot.

Huh, I could *swear* I was looking at the right folder before (and my computer is having issues lately and sometimes large folders like "Applications" take time to fully populate).